Keyshot 8/8.1 Crash on Start

Started by ajayre, December 11, 2018, 04:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajayre

Hi, I've run Keyshot 4, 5, 6 and 7 on my laptop no issues. Now I have upgraded to Keyshot 8. It gets stuck at "Initializing", then the window turns white and Windows reports it is not responding. This happens every time and I have to kill it with the task manager.

Rebooting doesn't help. Uninstall, reboot, install, reboot doesn't help.

Then I tried installing the 8.1 update. Now as soon as I start it I get the error message "This application has stopped working" and then it closes.

I am using the HD CAD version (Alibre Design).

Graphics drivers are up to date. Windows 7 64-bit.

Any ideas what I can try next? Thanks!

Francisco

Hello ajayre

Quote from: ajayre on December 11, 2018, 04:36:49 AM
Hi, I've run Keyshot 4, 5, 6 and 7 on my laptop no issues. Now I have upgraded to Keyshot 8. It gets stuck at "Initializing", then the window turns white and Windows reports it is not responding. This happens every time and I have to kill it with the task manager.

Rebooting doesn't help. Uninstall, reboot, install, reboot doesn't help.

Then I tried installing the 8.1 update. Now as soon as I start it I get the error message "This application has stopped working" and then it closes.

I am using the HD CAD version (Alibre Design).

Graphics drivers are up to date. Windows 7 64-bit.

Any ideas what I can try next? Thanks!

Thank you for posting a question on the forums about your KeyShot 8.1 crashing on startup.

Would you be able to open your Windows Event Viewer and post the crash here for me to take a look at? I have included instructions below on how you can find the windows error log.

Press "windows-key+r"
Type _eventvwr_ then
Go to *windows logs->Application*
You will look for a line that has a red circle with an exclamation point with the word Error. Will look like the image below called Error-Application.PNG
Can you look for the name ks8.exe and copy the information in General Tab. It will look like this image below called General-Info.PNG

ajayre

Thanks for replying. Here you go:

Faulting application name: keyshot.exe, version: 8.1.61.0, time stamp: 0x5bf861e9
Faulting module name: ig7icd64.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f065354
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000418975
Faulting process id: 0xeac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4939b4235dafb
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\KeyShot8\bin\keyshot.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\system32\ig7icd64.dll
Report Id: 868c080d-ff8e-11e8-8eb2-005056c00008

Note that C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Local is the default install folder that the installer gave me. Bit weird - never seen that before, but I tried manually change it to C:\Program Files\KeyShot8 and didn't help so I figured I would go with what the installer wants as maybe it would keep the app happy - doesn't make a difference.

Francisco

When you see this "\Users\Andy\AppData\Local\KeyShot8\bin\keyshot.exe" it is just letting you know where you have KeyShot installed. The location it's pointing to refers that you installed KeyShot for yourself only and not for everyone.
The error that is causing you to crash appears to be the Intel graphics driver and it appears that you would need to update it. Depending on what kind of computer you have you can do this two different ways. The first would be to visit the original manufacturer of your computer and downloaded the latest drivers for your chip. The second way would be to look up what kind of Intel chip you have in your computer and look for the updated drivers from the Intel website.

ajayre

Thanks for the reply. From my original post:

Graphics drivers are up to date.

Here is what Intel's utility tell me:

Your Intel® software is up to date.
Computer
SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. 900X3C/900X3D/900X4C/900X4D
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz
Chipset
Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Also from my original post:

Hi, I've run Keyshot 4, 5, 6 and 7 on my laptop no issues.

What is different about KS8 that it doesn't work?

From the error information:

Exception code: 0xc0000005

This means "access violation" so my conclusion is that KS8 does something that the graphics driver doesn't like.

Please let me know what to try next. Thanks.

ajayre

Any ideas what I can try next? Thanks.

KeyShot

You can send an email to beta@luxion.com and we can set you up with KeyShot 8.2 beta to see if that fixes the issue you are seeing.

retroafro

I have this problem too, i really need it for work! Everything has been fine for me, just randomly started to not open in the way you have described! I think it has something to do with the latest update...any solutions yet?

ajayre

Beta didn't help. Support wanted remote access to my PC but I simply don't have the time to arrange that / synchronize with them. :(