Entirely Black Window

Started by GMSTOLTZ, August 13, 2018, 11:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMSTOLTZ

Windows 7 Pro SP1
Keyshot 7.3.40

Everything worked fine last week.  This morning fire up Keyshot and the render window is entirely black for any model I open.  Doesn't matter if it's a .bip, a Solidworks import, anything.  No errors on startup.  I've rebooted the system which had no impact.  Upon startup, the open recent window accurately displays the models.  If I select render scene, the output within Keyshot is black, but the file itseif is properly rendered. 

Any suggestions?  I've tried resizing the window, zooming in/out, moving the model, etc.

mattjgerard

Check your gpu card drivers. That's the response I get from support when stuff like this happens. If I render something in the background locally on my machine (which I rarely do) the render progress window is black and I can't see it until its finished. All my gpu drivers are up to date, and the next thing is to do a full clean install which I just don't have time for, and since I don't render locally that much its not that big of a deal to me.

But, KS does use the GPU to display the realtime render window I believe, so that would be the first place to start.

And I'm on Win 7 as well. Been trying to get IT to bump me to 10 for a while due to some other issues as well, but nothing yet.

BJT_DAVE

I had this once a long time ago, think it was something to do with something in the advanced settings tab, graphic effects unticked possibly. Give that a try, heres what mine is set to.

GMSTOLTZ

'Solution' - I don't know if this would help anybody else but here's what 'fixed' it for me as it happened again this morning.  I'm using an LG 43ud79-b monitor with 2 of the inputs on one PC, and two on another.  The PC with Keyshot is running an old ATI FirePro V5800.  ATI has a function that will allow you to combine two displays to be one "Eyefinity" display.  If I enable that so the two desktops act as one, everything works fine.  If I keep them separate, the scene renders complete black. 

Ian Reymond

As mattjgerard said, you may be running an outdated graphics card driver. To obtain the latest, visit the graphic card manufacturer's web page and search for the latest driver. I would NOT use Windows Driver Update or any auto-detection utility since they are not very reliable.  Download and install the latest driver updated for your card model.

Niko Planke

An other thing to be aware of:
Some Modern CPUs have an integrated graphics solution.
It is important to not only update the dedicated Graphicscards driver but also the driver for the integrated Graphics solution/APU if you have one.