Main Menu

Threadripper 2 - 457fps

Started by guest85409, August 15, 2018, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon

Quote from: camomiles on October 31, 2018, 07:34:33 AM
Our new TR 2990WX gear arrived this week.

505 FPS
Is that v8?  Any info you can share on the specs are appreciated, particularly on the cooling used and what temps you are seeing during rendering.

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: Gordon on October 31, 2018, 11:26:36 AM
Is that v8?  Any info you can share on the specs are appreciated, particularly on the cooling used and what temps you are seeing during rendering.

Sure...

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX, 32x 4.2GHz, 80MB Cache, 250W TDP
MBO: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme, AMD X399, So. TR4
RAM: 64GB, 4x 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15, Corsair Dominator Platinum, Rev S
SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, M.2 PCIe (MZ-V7P1T0BW)
FAN: Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3

During the benchmark today (KS v8), up to 520 FPS at 65-67 °C.

Hope it is helpful.

DriesV

Hi Eugen,

Would you be able to provide the fps rate for the 'Bathroom Interior' scene from our Downloads page?
Click here to download the scene directly.

The scene should open with the following settings:

• Model Set: 'Realistic - Stone style - Daytime'
  • Interior Mode active
  • 800 x 450

I am curious to know the result.

Dries

Eugen Fetsch

Hi Dries,

The Threadripper starts at 28 FPS it drops slowly to stable 26.2 FPS after 200 samples.

Very interesting...

The TR 2990WX gear beats our Dual Xeon E5-2690 v4 on the camera scene by almost 90 FPS.
Dual Xeon - 430 FPS
Thradripper - 520 FPS

On the other side the Xeon machine beats the TR on the interior scene by 1.7 FPS, starting by over 31 FPS and dropping slowly to stable 27.9 FPS.
Dual Xeon - 27.9 FPS
Threadripper - 26.2 FPS

What can we learn from that? :D

DriesV

Hi Eugen,

Thanks a lot for this. Very much appreciated.
We can learn that this affirms some reports we have seen on strange performance scaling with TR 2990WX. This is not limited to KeyShot though. Some other highly parallel tools show similar behavior. It appears to be specific to Windows.
We are looking into this.

Dries

joseph

Wendel from Level1techs discusses this on his YouTube that it is more on Windows doesn't know how to use the threadripper on Windows compared to Linux https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSSAFqzbKgg

DriesV

Hi Eugen,

For giggles (but seriously), could you try the same? Setting Processor affinity so that 'CPU 1' is unchecked?
It would be interesting to see how that impacts the fps rate for the camera and bathroom scene.

Dries

Eugen Fetsch

Hey Dries,

Camera - 510 FPS
Bathroom - 27.3 FPS

You can have remote access to the system to play around (if it helps). I don't need it at the moment. Mail me for that. 

DriesV

Thanks again, Eugen.
I think this will suffice for now. It's good to have the measurements.

Dries

menizzi

DMerz III

Wondering if the memory bandwidth issue has anything to do with it?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3298859/components-processors/how-memory-bandwidth-is-killing-amds-32-core-threadripper-performance.html

I saw this a while back when I was looking into building a TR rig at home. Decided to let others do the testing. Watching these thread ripper threads, closely ;)

Eugen Fetsch

For me, there is no issue at all. :) The TR system performance is great, compared to the price tag. It performs on the same level and in some cases even better then my double priced Xeon build. At least if it comes to rendering in KS or Cycles. It's just a rendering beast.
Can't tell much about encoding and compression tasks,I don't have many of them. But the difference is noticable - the Xeon build performs better here. 

DMerz III

Quote from: camomiles on November 01, 2018, 03:21:59 PM
For me, there is no issue at all. :) The TR system performance is great, compared to the price tag. It performs on the same level and in some cases even better then my double priced Xeon build. At least if it comes to rendering in KS or Cycles. It's just a rendering beast.
Can't tell much about encoding and compression tasks,I don't have many of them. But the difference is noticable - the Xeon build performs better here.

Glad to hear it. Appreciate you sharing your experience, very very much.
Time to save up!

Eugen Fetsch

The TR looses against my Xeon machine in interior mode. If you do a lot of  interior mode related projects in KS, wait for more information from Luxion first. Product mode shows better performance.
I'll test some more heavy scenes next week and will post the results.

joseph

Just out of curiosity, has anyone toyed with new Ryzen Master DLM feature for KeyShot and does it improve the interior mode rendering. regards