Henry Lever Action Rifle (+ new)

Started by Speedster, August 13, 2018, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Had to take a break from a gnarly medical device design and recharge my brain!

So I did up a SolidWorks model of my Henry 22 caliber "Golden Boy" lever action rifle.  Absolutely an amazing gun, with a very smooth action and super accurate.

The "Color Case Hardened" version is but a dream, as they don't offer it.  But I can still dream!

The model is one part, not an assembly, and of course cannot be made for a 3D printed  shooter!

Bill G

mattjgerard

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-original-henry-iron-framed/

There it is, my friend! Although its not a .22, but a bit beefier caliber :)

Bill, this post hits close to home. I inherited my fathers Henry Golden Boy .22LR after he passed away. As he started to go down in health, he realized that one thing he never got to do was shoot a true "Cowboy rifle". He had seen one that he wanted somewhere, and I feverishly researched and found Henry. I got a catalog from them, and he pointed out the one he wanted. After some kerfuffle obtaining my Permit to Purchase, I had my friend who was an FFL at the time order it. In that time space Dad had several trips to the emergency room and 2 hospital stays, the last one of which he didn't fully recover from. The ammonia buildup in his brain changed him, and he was never the same again. I finally go the rifle, and wrapped it up, and one night brought it over to him. Imagine the end of The Christmas Story when Ralphie opens his Red Ryder. That moment brought him back, if only for a short while.

Dad never got to shoot it, but he got to hold it, and rack the action all he wanted. I have nothing but good things to say about the company, and the president Anthony Imperato. He answered my email to customer support personally when I wrote in to see if I could get a customized side plate engraved sooner than the 3-6 weeks that was normal. It was in my hands 5 days later, along with 2 hats, 2 mugs, and 2 of a couple other swag items at no charge.

I take it out with my boys, and we talk about dad, I teach them the same that my dad taught me. I try to pass that on, just like I will pass this rifle on (they just get to thumb-wrestle over who gets it :). We plink cans, maybe some tannerite once in a while. The first shot that ever came out of that gun was a dead on bullseye that made a mouldy old teddy bear stuffed with 1/4 lb of tannerite disappear in a solid *whoooomp* and a cloud of white smoke and stuffing slowly floating back to the ground. I know dad was there, and I know he was laughing hard, as he would have been greatly amused by that shot. 

Very nice model, thanks for bringing back some good memories. That rifle has been on my list of things to practice modeling someday, since modeling is very much my weak point. Very nicely done.

Speedster

QuoteBill, this post hits close to home.
Matt, thanks so much for sharing this beautiful story of you and your dad!  It's just one of the many reasons that Henry Repeating Arms is such a beloved company, and a true "Legend in it's Own Time"! 

My dad and I rode and went shooting every weekend as I was growing up, and through my teens.  Until I discovered girls, of course!  I was born in Montana, and spent my early years in a tiny town on The Flathead Lake, at that time part of the Flathead Indian Reservation.  The other kids were all Native, and we played cowboys and Indians, and for some reason I always lost.  And for an equally strange reason they called me "Billy the Kid"!

Because of a shoulder injury, I chose the Henry H004Y, or Golden Boy Youth model.  Weighs only six pounds, has a 16" carbine length barrel, and a 13" LOP rather than the standard 14".  Perfect!

I immediately swapped out the standard lever for Henry's "Large Loop", as it fits me well (especially with gloves) and looks cool, like Steve McQueen's rifle on the Wanted Dead or Alive TV series. Also did up a leather wrap for the lever, and a butt-cuff to match, as the polished brass butt strap is quite slippery on my shoulder.  The last touch was adding antiqued brass tacks, as was common among Native owners, to Honor my Native American upbringing.  The scabbard was custom made by my friend Randy, owner and Master Leathersmith of Black Timber Leather, here in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  The upper side is open to allow easy insertion of the large loop without making it too wide, and has a closing strap.  Not being a "saddle scabbard" it is also longer, up high on the stock.  Saddle scabbards usually end about the break in the stock to allow easy removal when mounted.

The target image shows the first tree groups of ten shots, right out of the box!  First time I've ever shot a rifle (dad had only pistols), and first time with semi-buckhorn sights!  I'm adding a Skinner Peep Sight soon.

Thanks again!

Bill G

Speedster

A few more.  Time to knock it off and go kill some tin cans!  HenryShooting is almost as much fun as KeyShooting!
Bill G

mattjgerard

Man, I got the itch to go shoot again. Some friend and I have a lodge up north that has an old fashioned county gravel pit  that we go to, and its just perfect.
I do like the idea of the butt-cuff, if anything but to protect the brass. I just can't get how accurate these things are, I'm no expert or even moderate shooter at all, but I can plink away at live ground targets or some tannerite bags with confidence. I have to look into upgrading the front sight, the hi-viz sights they have on their website won't work with the octagon barrels, and the one guy said I'd have to take it to a gunsmith and have it drilled and tapped for a peep-sight which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

Nice work again bill!

theAVator

Nice work Bill! 
I'm always a sucker for a lever action rifle... more of a Savage 99 guy myself, but Henry's a closer 2nd. A Henry 22 will probably be my daughter's first gun. 

The case hardened color would be a cool option. The lever on my 99 is that same case hardened color.
Any thought for modeling in an engraving on the sides?

TGS808

Careful guys, you'll shoot your eye out.

Josh3D

Love the stories gents, and the renders! And that settles it. Going to shoot my 22LR with my kiddos tonight - give them some stories too :)

Speedster

So...  waiting for my client to make up his mind, so I dived back in on my Henry.

Swapped the stock lever for Henry's "Large Loop Lever" (which I did on my own Henry), added a Marbles Tang Peep Sight, and of course, engraved it!

Done!  At least for now!  Time to go kill some tin cans!

Bill G

Will Gibbons

Nice! I like the detailing on this one. Like Josh said, I enjoyed reading your stories, both of you!