8.2 UI Oddity with Toolbar when docked vertical

Started by DMerz III, February 25, 2019, 08:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

So, I'm weird, and like to have my toolbar docked all the way to the right of my window, with small icons and no text.

Since I updated to KS 8.2 this morning, the docked toolbar width in the UI is extra wide. It doesn't seem to be a problem if I dock it horizontally (as default) on the bottom or top of the application, but if I try to dock it so it is vertical, it is suddenly much wider than necessary. See screenshot.

It's a small thing, but not sure why it would change. Figured I would see if anyone else ran into this?

Windows 10, custom Dual-Xeon machine.
KS 8.2.8

Francisco

Hello DMerz III,

When you start KeyShot and you move the bar and dock it on the side, could you right-click in an empty space and choose one of the sizes from Medium to Large and see if that changes the icons for you? Let me know if this helped?

Quote from: DMerz III on February 25, 2019, 08:31:37 AM
So, I'm weird, and like to have my toolbar docked all the way to the right of my window, with small icons and no text.

Since I updated to KS 8.2 this morning, the docked toolbar width in the UI is extra wide. It doesn't seem to be a problem if I dock it horizontally (as default) on the bottom or top of the application, but if I try to dock it so it is vertical, it is suddenly much wider than necessary. See screenshot.

It's a small thing, but not sure why it would change. Figured I would see if anyone else ran into this?

Windows 10, custom Dual-Xeon machine.
KS 8.2.8

DMerz III

:) Tried this, doesn't seem to get any narrower for me than what's in the screenshot.

I've tried on 2 separate machines as well. (home/work).

theAVator

I'm one of those weirdos that keeps it the default bottom position, but just by accident one day I dragged it to the side and it looked the same as pictured. My first thought was "man, those icons seem way too small for the space in the bar", not quite seeing it from the other viewpoint of "man, that bar is way to big for those icons". haha

But yeah, I'm on 8.2.whatever and mine appears the same. I just set back to the default, so no playing around to get it smaller or anything on my end.

DMerz III

;D they are small especially on the 4k monitor, but I literally only use the render button in that bar, so I muscle memory the click anytime I need it.

That being said...I've had to move the bar to the top dock position lately because I need that precious wide space. Hopefully, it's just a mishap on the UI for 8.2 and it goes back to normal in the next update.

I used to use the bottom dock waaaay back when, but I always seem to activate my "windows" bar and it got annoying.

mattjgerard

I Dont' have a 4k monitor, just a lowly 2550xsomething and it does dock properly on the right side for me. Now, I do run three monitors, so that might make a difference. I've got my big 24 in the middle, and a 21 on either side. The IT guys were giving me weird looks, but they haven't taken them away yet :) grabbed the 2 of them when we did a cubical cleanout and a couple people moved to the other building. Not saying I stole them, they were just in storage under my desk for a few days before I hooked them up :)

Francisco

Hello DMerz III,

Do you know if you have to the option enabled for High DPI Support in settings?

I am using a 4k monitor and when I moved it to the right side of KeyShot it did the same thing by making the icons small. I then right-clicked and made them bigger by choosing medium and large. I also have High DPI support enabled in my Preferences. Can you check if you have that enabled and if you do let me know?

Another option you can try is to open the KS8Settings.xml within your KeyShot 8 resource folder and search for <toolBarIconSize>x</toolBarIconSize> and changing the x from 0=small, 1=medium, 2=large icons.

Let me know if that works for you?

DMerz III

Hey Francisco!

Thanks for trying to help me out here. I apologies this seems so OCD, but since we're going down that path, I might as well do a better job explaining myself.
I actually want the small icons. But I also want the slimmer bar. I've attached an image that hopefully explains what I'm talking about.

I am on a 4k monitor and I do not have the high DPI support turned on, but I never had in the past either. It looked fine in 8.1 (See below), but in 8.2 it doesn't seem to slim down when you turn off the text (a behavior that worked in 8.1), it seems like a part of the UI which was changed (probably unintentionally).

I might also be the only person ever to use a side dock, lol. So I understand if this is a low low priority to fix, but I thought I would mention it.

Ian Reymond

There have been no replies to this post for more than two weeks, therefore, it has been locked.
If you still need help please open a new post.

Post closed by Luxion Support Team