Render times when Mac is inactive

Started by BJT_DAVE, August 21, 2018, 12:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilipTh

Quote from: BJT_DAVE on December 04, 2018, 05:31:57 AM
erm...."Despite turning app nap off, screen sleep to 'never'' etc etc Keyshot render speeds just drops dramatically as soon as I go home from work"

Hello BJT_DAVE,

Have you tested if the KeyShot does not still go into app nap?

You can test this by opening the activity monitor, then in the CPU tab control click the top row with the column names, select to show "app nap".

Then, try running the same tests you did previously and monitor if KeyShot is in App Nap mode.

Please share your results

mercury

erm...."Despite turning app nap off, screen sleep to 'never'' etc etc Keyshot render speeds just drops dramatically as soon as I go home from work"

@BJT_DAVE

could you solve that? I have exact same problem. app nap off, but still as soon as leave the render perfomance slows down dramatically :(

BJT_DAVE

Yep, we moved over to Blender. Hell of a learning curve but way superior to Keyshot, and free!

mercury

ok, actually stopping "app nap" seems to solve that. But other than described in some tuts in web, restart the app didn't work, I needed to restart the Computer.

And as well I think amphetamine and energie settings still do have influence in rendering performance, because I did let amphetamine run a 10 hours Session (I don't remember exactly, might have beenn 9), and when I get back to office, there were 2/3 (about 88 frames) of whole render job fulfilled, but the latest frame already did take about 30 minutes and the amphetamine session was closed already.

My target would be to have the display of and let the machine render through the night. I guess to reach this it needs some more trials to meet the exact setup.

If I found a working setup I will post here

Thanks for participating im my problems.

RobPrecipice

Yep, AppNap appears to essentially kneecap Keyshot8 at the moment for me. When I had it turned on, just clicking off the app window that was rendering at about 5 samples per second reduced it to about 1 sample per minute, the effect was so sudden.

Keyshot doesn't appear to be AppNap aware, (there's no checkbox when you "Get Info" on the app) so I've had to disable it system wide. Doing this solves the problem completely for me, but I'm not sure what other effects this will have on my system, or what other apps use AppNap for it's good effects rather than it's bad.

Bruno F

Issue caused by a third party or an MacOS setting. Apple will have a better idea of how to tackle this. Essentially, the machine should provide the same CPU resources to KeyShot 24/7 and all power-saving rules in System Preferences, Activity Monitor, or other performance utility should be turned off.

Post closed due to inactivity by Luxion Support Team