Model Healing

Started by mattjgerard, August 21, 2018, 08:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Not neccessarily a Keyshot issue, but I am being provided with an IGS file, that has lots of holes in the mesh , and edges that are aren't merged. I am 99.9% confident that I can't get a hold of a better file, so I need to figure out how to close these holes smoothly. I am using Cinema 4D for modeling, its what I'm most familiar with. Right now I am doing it manually using the stitch n sew tool, bridge tool and close polygon hole tool.

I have tried importing with many different settings, I've tries importing into keyshot with settings cranked up, I've tried running it through Okino NuGraf with all the mesh healing algorythims cranked up, but still lots of holes.

Anything else to try or am I stuck with doing it by hand? I've attached the IGS file. The main problems I'm dealing with now are on the smooth rounded corners near the screws.

Thanks

Eugen Fetsch

I don't know exactly how the process is named, but you'll need to convert all the separate surfaces into bodies (in CAD, by stitching them together). It is still a manual work, but more easy as to work on triangulated meshes in C4D.

TGS808

I'm no expert but I think I got it to a place where you should be OK in KeyShot. There are no holes and everything seems to look OK when I add materials. You may have to do some geometry editing in KS. I lost the second "A" in "DATA" somehow when exporting the STEP (like I said, not an expert) so I just duplicated the first one and replaced it in KS. Let me know if this works for you. STEP and BIP are in the ZIP.

mattjgerard

That looks fantastic compared to the hack job I was doing. Was this accomplished in a CAD program? I was able to get close by converting with NuGraf, but there were still the inner bevels by the screws that I had to fill in. It got close, but your is much smoother.

Much appreciated! This is the first in a series of products, so if I can be so bold as to ask a in a little more detail how you did it, I can pass that off to my drafters and have them do it :) Don't need a step by step, but if it was in a CAD program, then I can claim ignorance and toss it to someone else to figure out, as I have never opened a CAD program (although I'd like to get into solidworks)

Cheers everyone, and thanks for the help. I'll post images later when I have the guts of the thing modeled.

TGS808

I did this in Fusion 360. In the "Patch" enviornment using the "Stitch" tool found under "Modify". The model was mostly unstitched bodies (I've received stuff like this before too) so I just selected the entire model as a whole and ran the stitch tool. There may have been a more finesse way to do it, (a body at a time maybe?) but as I said, I'm not an expert. I'm fairly new to the CAD world and still have a lot to learn about F360. There was one body that for some reason refused to stitch. I don't know why but it seemed to look OK in KeyShot so I figured it was OK as is. Happy to have been able to help.

mattjgerard

Looking good so far, did some reorganization in Cinema, broke up some other pieces since there is a frosted frame around a clear center lens. Looks great, so thanks for the help! I've heard a lot of people tauting Fusion, if it can do this sort of ting, I'll look into it. I'd rather do it myself than send it into the dark unknowns of our engineering dept. I tried Rhino a while back and my eyes crossed whe I looked at the interface. Might be time to try again.

Thanks again, off to model a PCB board to go inside :)

TGS808

Yeah, I could see that main body (which was supposed to be two separate parts) had fused into one. I wasn't sure how to separate them once that happened so I'm glad you were able to get it back to where it needed to be.

Furniture_Guy

I was slow to appreciate Fusion 360 but with a little prodding from TGS808 I saw the light. VERY useful...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

mattjgerard

Quote from: TGS808 on August 22, 2018, 08:24:31 AM
Yeah, I could see that main body (which was supposed to be to separate parts) had fused into one. I wasn't sure how to separate them once that happened so I'm glad you were able to get it back to where it needed to be.

IF there is one thing I can claim I'm OK at its pulling models apart. We get a ton of shrink-wrapped models from vendors, so its a large part of my job. More to come...

TGS808

Quote from: Furniture_Guy on August 22, 2018, 08:34:01 AM
I was slow to appreciate Fusion 360 but with a little prodding from TGS808 I saw the light. VERY useful...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Glad to hear that it's working for you Perry. That's awesome. I've made much progress myself since even recommending it to you. I work with a guy who's really good at it but it's nice not to have to bother him (not that he'd say it's a bother) or to have to wait for our factories to send entire new versions of files for small parts I can now fix or make myself. Fusion allows me to be self sufficient which is nice.

mattjgerard

mattjgerard

Getting there.....

More detail to add to the PCB board still, but need to model the lens and lens mount to go inside the center hole. This is the fun part :)

Will Gibbons

Quote from: TGS808 on August 22, 2018, 09:12:55 AM
Quote from: Furniture_Guy on August 22, 2018, 08:34:01 AM

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Glad to hear that it's working for you Perry. That's awesome. I've made much progress myself since even recommending it to you. I work with a guy who's really good at it but it's nice not to have to bother him (not that he'd say it's a bother) or to have to wait for our factories to send entire new versions of files for small parts I can now fix or make myself. Fusion allows me to be self sufficient which is nice.

Welcome to the club! :) I made the switch from SW to F360 about two years ago. Can't say it's perfect, but I'm fastest in Fusion 360 now.