hdri per object group

Started by PerB, August 29, 2018, 06:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerB

Hi everyone

I will be starting a new job soon. My new company works with Keyshot. It's nice to learn a new software after 8 years of Deltagen.
It had one interesting feature that allowed you to have multiple hdri's in your scene. This only works when the hdri is linked to the geometry (ex. rim). This by placing the hdri and the geo where in the same group.

Is there a similar option in Keyshot?

Thanks!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: PerB on August 29, 2018, 06:13:08 AM
Hi everyone

I will be starting a new job soon. My new company works with Keyshot. It's nice to learn a new software after 8 years of Deltagen.
It had one interesting feature that allowed you to have multiple hdri's in your scene. This only works when the hdri is linked to the geometry (ex. rim). This by placing the hdri and the geo where in the same group.

Is there a similar option in Keyshot?

Thanks!

Hi PerB,

Good to hear from you. While I understand the nature of the question and its potential usefulness, KeyShot doesn't behave like that. KeyShot is more similar to real-world experiences. For example, if you're in a photo studio, anything in that photo studio will be affected by that light.

That said, you can create multiple studios where the lighting is different in each studio. You can also make different model sets active/visible in each studio, but you can't do light linking where you have an HDRI only affect a particular piece of geometry.

Hope that helps.

INNEO_MWo

We can apply several HDR's as pin in the HDRI (sphere) unlinked to any geometry.
What would be the benefits of using multiple sphere around a scene?

Cheers
Marco

DMerz III

While very unrealistic, if you wanted to control the lighting on a part that is prone to getting blown out or losing details, a separate 'reflection'/hdri environment map for just that part (or label) could be useful for idealized images.

I have had a client in the past request that the lighting hitting the 'metallic' portions of the label be different from the rest of the lighting in the scene so those parts aren't lost...but also didn't want to change the lighting of the rest of the product. So...while it isn't realistic, it could be useful in certain situations.

I worked around it by 'patching' in the special areas with another rendering using the 2nd environment via photoshop. Granted, that's not always the 'fast' solution for most folks.