Importing From Fusion 360

Started by danielsweitzer@mac.com, August 27, 2018, 01:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielsweitzer@mac.com

I'm new to Keyshot but I have a problem importing some of my models from Fusion 360 into Keyshot with the Fusion 360 plugin. With my models, when I import directly from Fusion 360 some of my components are out of the position from what they were in Fusion 360. If I export as a step they are still out of position. Exporting in the other file formats they import correctly but I lose faces I have split for materials. I have attached screenshots of what this is doing to illustrate. I have exhausted looking and trying various things in Fusion. Any ideas? Best, Dan

iMac 21.5 inch 2017
Mac os 10.13.6
Fusion 360 2.0.4383
Keyshot Pro 7.3.40

Will Gibbons

Actually, yes. I have a suspicion, but am not sure... I have a feeling this behavior is tied to how you work in Fusion 360. When you move a part or create a joint in F360, do you 'capture position', when it gives you that option? I recommend doing that every time. I think I chose to not do that and ran into the same behavior you are seeing.

Also, I tend to export to .step and do direct import into KS for my final renders.

Let me know if that doesn't help.

danielsweitzer@mac.com

Thank you for your feedback!

You are correct it is the alignment within fusion that is the issue. I haven't resolved the problem yet but I have an approximate solution at least for rendering. In this example I have a stand head and 3 legs. For my short term solution I create a new design and insert first the stand head, then the 3 legs. What I have to do now is when I do the initial leg insert I need to manually position the leg to the head and that is the position which is captured for the keyshot import. If I align or create a joint these new leg positions are not captured only the initial insert position. If I export the fusion file as a step, then when I import into keyshot it loses my split faces features that I want to apply materials to. The bodies come through fine but not the split faces. Fusion offers no way to "recapture a position" as I'm sure internally it is fine with the alignment and joint features.

I'm sure there is a solution somewhere and if I find it I will repost what I find.

;)

Will Gibbons

I think it just comes down to order of operations. Once I ran into this issue about a year ago, I've not had any issues myself and I do this nearly daily. Also, I recommend painting each face/body/part that you want to be different materials in KeyShot a different color in F360.

danielsweitzer@mac.com

Thanks I will use your recommendations. Most of my other projects are fine but I'm sure there is something I'm doing with these sheet metal stands that is not quite right.

PeterSwift

Quote from: danielsweitzer@mac.com on August 27, 2018, 01:58:15 PM
I'm new to Keyshot but I have a problem importing some of my models from Fusion 360 into Keyshot with the Fusion 360 plugin. With my models, when I import directly from Fusion 360 some of my components are out of the position from what they were in Fusion 360. If I export as a step they are still out of position. Exporting in the other file formats they import correctly but I lose faces I have split for materials. I have attached screenshots of what this is doing to illustrate. I have exhausted looking and trying various things in Fusion. Any ideas? Best, Dan

iMac 21.5 inch 2017
Mac os 10.13.6
Fusion 360 2.0.4383
Keyshot Pro 7.3.40

I also work with Fusion360, And I cant use the Plugin, It's not working correctly im afraid. I don't get those issue though. But for me it's an issue that there is no NURBS data when using the plugin And at least I can't never save on our server. I need to save it locally on my desktop and then reopen and resave it where ever I want it.

also working on Mac

danielsweitzer@mac.com

It seems so far that the plugin is working so far except for this one "capture position" glitch. Will's suggestion of painting material all different colors is also good suggestion. Keyshot seems to group within each body, like appearances and they can't be separated into different materials once in Keyshot, at least as far as I know.

Furniture_Guy

Take some time to become familiar with 'Edit Geometry' in Keyshot. A real lifesaver at times...

Perry (Furnitue_Guy)

TGS808

Quote from: Furniture_Guy on August 29, 2018, 02:03:03 PM
Take some time to become familiar with 'Edit Geometry' in Keyshot. A real lifesaver at times...

Perry (Furnitue_Guy)

Indeed, an indispensable feature.