Main Menu

Macro Movements

Started by garebear, December 10, 2018, 11:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garebear

Call me stupid and kick me outta here if this is already a thing and I simply have never seen it, but I'd love it if when using the position gizmo you could hold a hotkey to reduce the movement by like a 10th or something.

I've found myself in a lot of situations, (aligning walls, or placing items on a table in a large scene for instance) where the slightest twitch of the mouse moves the selected geometry a mile when I needed it to go a cm. And I resort to moving the item by the translation numbers by .001 at a time or something. I know there are workarounds and certain settings that make these things happen, such as scene units and local and global positions, but for these instances it'd be nice if holding a hotkey would divide the movement by a large factor for more precision.

For further reference, I got this idea from the "precision" hotkey on my Wacom Cintiq. Normally the pen moves the cursor 1-1 (where the pen tip is the cursor is), but when holding the precision hotkey you can move the pen across the screen and the cursor moves only a very short distance.

RRIS

Yeah, something like in Alias where you press a button and get a scaled down movement for precision tweaking.

INNEO_MWo

Do you ever experienced with the geometry view? Since KeyShot 7 we can start the move tool inside it. And if the camera option in the geometry view is set to orthographic or perspective, the gizmo is sensitive to the view distance. Means, if you look close, the dizmo moves in micro steps and far away in bigger steps.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Marco

designgestalt

hey Marco,
good to know ! wasn´t aware of that ...
Is there also a possiblity to move the Gizmo itself, meaning to place it where it suits you the most, that I don´t know of?
most of the times, when I get close enough to the part, the Gizmo is somewhere out in space ...
cheers,
designgestalt

INNEO_MWo

For linear moves you can use the select pivot feature in the move tool dialog (or in German UI "Drehpunkt: Auswählen"), wich forces to jump the gizmo to the center of the selected pivot. But that doesn't work for a selection point or polygon on large parts.

Sorry. This topic is discussed a few times and I am sure it is on the long wish list for the dev team.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco