Color import via CSV (template needed)

Started by INNEO_MWo, September 18, 2018, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INNEO_MWo

Hello community.

I'm searching for an example or template to import a color (in library) via CSV.
Every Excel file saved as CSV failed to import correctly.

I try to create a template to import CMYK values as a color.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Marco

Furniture_Guy

Keyshot not really being a print program (InDesign, Photoshop), I think it would have difficulty dealing with the CMYK color space import. I know you can create CMYK colors within Keyshot but I believe it's using the RGB or HSV values to generate the equivalent (albeit smaller space) colors of CMYK. Going from RGB or HSV is (relatively) easy but going the other way (CMYK to RGB) is difficult because you're having to fill in the missing colors of the larger RGB color space. See attachment...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

INNEO_MWo

Thank you Perry for these info!

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

All I know is that going from RGB to CMYK for greens is going to be the death of me.

Furniture_Guy

LOL! Yes, blues and greens are by far the worst. That pop or brilliance just disappears on paper...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

INNEO_MWo

So I did some tests with strange results.
As you can see the definition and import via CSV works so far.
But the colors (RGB and CMYK values) are different to the manual defined.

I've done this in the latest version of KeyShot 7.3 on Win 10 Pro.

Cheers
Marco

DriesV

Color is the science and art of madness...

Personally, I would avoid using CMYK colors in KeyShot.
CMYK color values only really make sense if there is a color profile to interpret them, telling the program how the CMYK color should be displayed on screen (in RGB). Such profiles are currently not implemented in KeyShot, so the display of CMYK colors is rather arbitrary.
If you really want to use CMYK colors, then I advise using Photoshop (or any image processing tool that supports color profiles) to give you the respective RGB or HSV values (with an appropriate color profile), that can then be entered in KeyShot. This will ensure highest fidelity between your CMYK color swatch and the rendered color in KeyShot.

Dries

Furniture_Guy

VERY good advice from Dries and remember EVERYTHING done or output from KeyShot is in sRGB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=YOyQVcQW2bw

Also:

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20978.msg89082#msg89082

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: DriesV on September 19, 2018, 04:06:24 AM
Color is the science and art of madness...

Personally, I would avoid using CMYK colors in KeyShot.
CMYK color values only really make sense if there is a color profile to interpret them, telling the program how the CMYK color should be displayed on screen (in RGB). Such profiles are currently not implemented in KeyShot, so the display of CMYK colors is rather arbitrary.
If you really want to use CMYK colors, then I advise using Photoshop (or any image processing tool that supports color profiles) to give you the respective RGB or HSV values (with an appropriate color profile), that can then be entered in KeyShot. This will ensure highest fidelity between your CMYK color swatch and the rendered color in KeyShot.

Dries

Thank you Dries for this tip.

Interesting thing, that if you know the
L*AB values and import them via CSV, the CMYK comes in correctly.
(The test CMYK values are 0% 50% 100% 0%)

Cheers
Marco