GLASS SETTING AND RENDER

Started by awsedr9, September 20, 2018, 03:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awsedr9

Hello
Please!
Can you advise me how to set this type of glass (according to this photo)? The fluid must be very dense. The light does not pass through the fluid. Thank you very much

SebastianG

Here is a good tutorial how to render the fluid in glass proberly:
https://blog.keyshot.com/2016/render-liquid-glass-keyshot

The "fluid" in the picture does look similar to the plastic cap. Maybe you use a plastic material on the inside of the glass surface?

awsedr9

Thank you for your response. Yes, I followed the tutorial, but it works only as a transparent liquid. When the liquid changes its viscosity, any color (liquid) changes to black

SebastianG

Try to switch to Product Rendering Mode.
If the glass is to dark, it needs more ray bounces.

DMerz III

Good news is, that this will be much easier to model and achieve in the newest KS8 when released. It takes advantage of 'nested dielectrics', simplifying the modeling of liquids inside glass, etc.

Finema

Good news !
How it works ?
Can you show us an example?
Thanks in advance.

DMerz III

:) totally, I'll report back here in a couple of hours once I get something setup.

Finema

DMerz III

:) Ok! Let me start by saying, I am not 100% sure how the new 'liquid interaction' aka 'nested dielectrics' is supposed to work. But it was described to me by Henrik and the developers at Renderworld, so I'm taking what I remember and going from there. There is much official documentation from KS8 on this yet, but I'm sure Luxion will be coming out with better explanations shortly after the release of KS8.

Attached are 3 renders. 1, just a quick beauty shot of a quick model I made this morning. There are 2 parts!
A.) Solid Glass B:) Liquid.
Both are closed shapes. The glass has an inner wall and an outside wall (think of how a glass as a thickness in reality). The liquid shape is a single closed surface which all sides are offset enough so the side surfaces will "nest" inside of the two surfaces of the glass wall you want the "liquid" to appear to 'touch'.

Keyshot 8 will automatically detect this "nesting" and treat the surfaces as liquid inside of glass. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but with this simple approach, it works for me.

Also note, the liquid top (or meniscus) is NOT a separate part, it is part of the liquid model. This is great because now we don't have to worry about splitting the surface and applying a new material there as we did in KS7 and earlier versions.

I have 2 cutaway shots to help demonstrate the nesting of the two parts.

Hope this makes sense!

Also, please note this is not available in KS7..this is a KS8 feature.

DMerz III

:) Also, to help with the original problem. Make sure you have 'Global Illumination' turned on in your lighting settings (This is available in current KS now).

If the glass is still dark, make sure you have the correct 'scene units' for your model and you have an appropriate 'transparency distance' in your glass/liquid shaders.

In my example, the 'liquid' shader is actually just the stock 'milk' material from KS7. It is available under the liquid library under materials tab.

Finema

Thanks a lot David.
I look forward to being able to use keyshot 8. I hope that the price of the update (7Pro to 8Pro) will not be too expensive.