Clawfish

Started by bdesign, September 23, 2018, 11:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdesign

Underwater scene created with several of the great new KeyShot 8 features. Scattering Medium (volumetrics), Spotlights (one for key light, one with water caustics stencil), Displacement (ocean floor), and Photographic Image Style (Tone Mapping, Curve, Color, Bloom, Vignette, Layers ["Use Frontplate" for initial layer of particulate matter]). Additional particulate matter, color grading, and grain added in Photoshop. Clawfish modeled in Rhino with T-Splines.

Cheers,
Eric

Despot

Great stuff Eric, it really does give the impression of an underwater scene. The caustics seal the deal IMO

DriesV

Looks cool, Eric!
This looks like some crazy sea monster from the Cambrian...

Dries

bdesign

Quote from: Despot on September 24, 2018, 05:11:10 AM
Great stuff Eric, it really does give the impression of an underwater scene. The caustics seal the deal IMO

Thanks very much, John. Happy to know it's convincing to your discerning eye  ;)

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Quote from: DriesV on September 24, 2018, 05:20:37 AM
Looks cool, Eric!
This looks like some crazy sea monster from the Cambrian...

Dries

Thanks, Dries! I like your Cambrian reference  8)

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

A softer, more organic look to the clawfish, with a Translucent (Advanced) material. More pronounced Displacement on the ocean floor. Adjustments to Photographic Image Style. Same general post processing as to the original version.

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Decided I wasn't so happy with version 2 above, so gave it one more go. I wanted the lighting mood of the original, but also an organic feel to the clawfish. This time I used the Plastic (Cloudy) material, and I think it looks much better, especially with the semi-transparent membrane areas. I also applied a subtle Displacement to the creature to give it a fleshier, sort of octopus skin look. Also reduced the ocean floor Displacement Height back to the original. Photographic Image Style set back to the original as well, except for a slight reduction in the Bloom intensity. Same general post processing as the others.

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Okay...calling it done with this one...for now :)

Cheers,
Eric

Eugen Fetsch

Hi Eric,

Looks already great. Just some thoughts...
Maybe the scene could benefit from some details, like plants or some mussels on the ground? The creature could have some more texture details too. Did you try to work with the curvature texture on it? Or how about to brake one claw with the cutaway feature, to bring more variation? If it's possible in this scene and the cutaway mesh doesn't create some artifacts.

Cheers,
Eugen

DMerz III

bdesign

Quote from: camomiles on September 26, 2018, 12:13:16 PM
Hi Eric,

Looks already great. Just some thoughts...
Maybe the scene could benefit from some details, like plants or some mussels on the ground? The creature could have some more texture details too. Did you try to work with the curvature texture on it? Or how about to brake one claw with the cutaway feature, to bring more variation? If it's possible in this scene and the cutaway mesh doesn't create some artifacts.

Cheers,
Eugen

Hi Eugen-

Thanks very much for your kind words. I am for sure a "detail freak" and agree that this scene can be pushed much further. It was basically a matter of time restraints. To be continued...hopefully :)

Cheers,
Eric

bdesign

Magnus Skogsfjord

So awesome! Really convincing as an underwater scene indeed. +1 to the caustics.

Will Gibbons

Fun stuff! I always like seeing someone give an image a few passes. Progression is great.

bdesign

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on October 12, 2018, 03:21:54 AM
So awesome! Really convincing as an underwater scene indeed. +1 to the caustics.
Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 12, 2018, 09:43:00 AM
Fun stuff! I always like seeing someone give an image a few passes. Progression is great.

Sorry I'm just now seeing your comments, Magnus and Will. Thanks very much for the kind words guys :)

Cheers,
Eric