A little over the top; Bubble Study Prt Deux

Started by DMerz III, September 30, 2018, 02:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

Back for a 2nd entry. Something a little closer to my daily grind.

Modeled by me in Blender3D.
Features in KS8 being leveraged:

- OpenVDB support (using a smoke sim frame to drive the bubble density on the liquid beer (see below)
- Bubble geometry cranked super high (+72 ray bounces) to get the foam head over the top and outside nice and fluffy
- Mug/Liquid beer is modeled with the new liquid interaction of course (nested dielectric workflow).
- Spotlight off the back wall utilizing the fall off perimeter and turning off "constant light output"
- Photographic Image style w/ some curves

Attachments in order of appearance.
-Full Res Beauty
-Crop @ 100% (1:1 1080)
-MatGraph + .vdb explaination for bubbles
-Raw output from KS (with image style) scaled to 1920

Eugen Fetsch

Cool idea to use vdb for density. And a great image!

DMerz III

:) Thank you thank you! I accidentally stumbled into that. I had a .vdb for scattering medium, and plugged it into the bubbles node to see what would happen...and it worked.

I didn't think it was possible because when I try to load a texture via the density map slot, it doesn't give me a .vdb option. I could only get it to work once I obtained the .vdb for a scatter medium node in the graph.
Hope that makes sense. Not sure if devs intended to allow for this...but it def works.

LM6

Ive tried everything but not this, great discovery and great image  :)

DriesV

Just in time for Oktoberfest!

Original application of VDB textures indeed.

Dries

DMerz III

Quote from: LM6 on October 01, 2018, 01:24:06 AM
Ive tried everything but not this, great discovery and great image  :)

Thank you very much! Appreciate your work as well!

Quote from: DriesV on October 01, 2018, 02:53:31 AM
Just in time for Oktoberfest!

Original application of VDB textures indeed.

Dries

Cheers, Dries!

bdesign

David, this is awesome, creative thinking! I had thought about VDBs with Bubbles and Flakes, but didn't try it the way you did :) Bravo! Great image, too!

Cheers,
Eric

mattjgerard

What does the geometry for the foam look like? Just trying to get an idea of what the bubble geometry in KS is doing to it.

Clay Render?

DMerz III

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 02, 2018, 06:55:24 AM
What does the geometry for the foam look like? Just trying to get an idea of what the bubble geometry in KS is doing to it.

Clay Render?

You want all of my secrets!? Haha, ok, so yes, there's a lot going on in this render. But there are only 4 parts (aside from the backdrop, the physical lights, and the ground).

The mug is a solid part, the liquid beer is a solid part (nested into the glass walls), the foam overflow is one object, and there are 'large' bubbles that are manually modeled and placed into the foam. They also cut into and remove the geometry of the foam overflow mass.
This was done in the modeling phase. The foam overflow (outside the glass) is a liquid shader with a LOT of bubble geometry via Keyshot.
Since the liquid shader has an IOR outside of 1 (air) the bubbles get treated as they would in reality (in reality, bubbles are just air trapped inside of liquid). The beer inside the glass is using a similar treatment, however I wanted to vary the density of the bubbles mapped inside the solid, which is where the .vdb comes into play.

mattjgerard

ok, that's the part that I was wondering about, the larger bubbles. In my tests, I couldn't get the larger bubbles breaking the surface to look like they were still whole, the just made a hole in the surface of the geometry.

thanks for that!

DMerz III

No problem.  ;)

The way I am interpreting it, the bubble geometry is like setting a particle scatter to volume or a domain, so it won't really break outside of the confinement of the original mesh. This manual method was my hack to elevate the look I was going for.

linyu