Semi-transparency/Fade Transparency on labels turn gray

Started by kbova41188, October 03, 2018, 05:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbova41188

Hey Guys, I've searched for a while now and can't find a solution to this issue.  Basically, when I apply a label with fading graphics and semi-transparencies to a clear plastic or glass, it turns anything that isn't 100% opacity gray.  Please see the attached image for reference. The blue color is supposed to fade to 0% opacity but as soon as it starts to fade, it turns gray.

I've tried changing the artwork to a tiff and it's the same results. I also tried changing ray bounces and multiple settings and nothing seems to work. I've had this issue in the past and still haven't found a work around. Any ideas? Thanks.

DMerz III

Interesting problem, totally can see why that isn't what you expect.

I am not sure if it will work, but maybe instead of using a label in the diffuse channel, change the color of the label to be a flat blue, and use the gradient as an opacity mask?

That way Keyshot isn't relying on the texture for color, but only for opacity and it applies the color? Obviously this ideal only works if you have a completely flat color.

kbova41188

Hey DMerz, thanks for the reply. I know what you mean. In theory, yes that would work. Unfortunately the the graphic design is much more complicated than the side panel I have shown here which would make it really difficult to create multiple opacity masks for each little shape and gradient fade. I ended up just photoshopping it for the time being.

DMerz III

:) Cool totally understand.

On second thought, if you're still messing with it, try plugging the same diffuse channel texture into the opacity channel (see the masking type to Alpha so it reads your image transparency). It might not remove all of the grey, but it might help a little.