Main Menu

KS8 displacement

Started by Weezer, October 02, 2018, 02:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weezer

Some tests with new KS8 displacement...

KeyShot

mattjgerard

Those last ones look like JSplacment examples :) I just found that app and its awesomely fun! This is one I knocked up real quick last night when I needed to burn up 15 minutes before heading home-

Will Gibbons

My! These are some cool experiments. Nice exploration.

Weezer

Yes, most of those were done using maps from JSPlacement https://windmillart.net/?p=jsplacement. Great little app and it's free.

Finema

Hi
I have a problem with displacement. The result is pixelated and not clear. What is the right way to go about it?
Thanks

KeyShot

Quote from: Finema on October 06, 2018, 06:00:08 AM
Hi
I have a problem with displacement. The result is pixelated and not clear. What is the right way to go about it?
Thanks

Increase the number of triangles allowed and possibly reduce the mesh resolution in the displacement shader.

Finema

Thank you.
But even if the number of triangles is increased to 20 million, the result is not clear

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: Finema on October 06, 2018, 11:12:27 PM
Thank you.
But even if the number of triangles is increased to 20 million, the result is not clear

And did decrease the value of the resolution?

Finema

KeyShot

Can you share your scene with beta@luxion.com then we can take a look at it? We have some improvements to displacement mapping coming in 8.1.

Finema

Hi,
I sent my scene
Here a screenshot you can see  that the circular shape is not clear (resoluion 0,01 et 20 M triangles

Magnus Skogsfjord

Love the engraved look on the top one there! I'm in a process to pull of a similar look so that's gonna be a reference image for the process :)

bdesign

Quote from: Finema on October 08, 2018, 12:41:41 AM
Here a screenshot you can see  that the circular shape is not clear (resoluion 0,01 et 20 M triangles

Is the displacement map 8 bit? Smoother results will be attained with 16 bit (PNG) and 32 bit (EXR) textures. Also, take note of the triangle count in the HUD in the viewport. Does the count increase when you increase the Max Triangles count to 20 million in the Displace node properties? Keep increasing the Max Triangles count until you see an increase in the HUD (for the initial increase, try setting a value at least double the triangle count shown in the HUD). Try setting the Resolution value to .001.

Cheers,
Eric

Weezer

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on October 08, 2018, 04:03:43 AM
Love the engraved look on the top one there! I'm in a process to pull of a similar look so that's gonna be a reference image for the process :)

I used the same greyscale map for the displacement – which is set to a small amount – and also for the roughness, which helps sell it. I was pretty pleased with the result! And in answer to the guy above, yes your displacement maps need to be very high resolution and very high bit depth. And don't be afraid to take the resolution down to really low values – like 0.00001. Of course, sometimes it's just easier to model the geometry if it's a relatively simple shape.