Main Menu

Linkable Labels

Started by alexalexalex, October 10, 2018, 10:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexalexalex

I think a good feature would be the ability to either save or link a label like a material.  Allowing it to be editable across multiple instances.  I often have to place labels as stickers , and making little changes takes a long time. 

mattjgerard

Labels are essentially materials in and of themselves. When you add a label in the material editor, the graphic is applied to a material and the material is applied as a label. This give the label a lot more characteristics in Keyshot that you can fine tune without having to go to an outside editor.

1) Create your material with the label
2) Open material in mat graph
3) Delete the main material, leaving the label node and material node that makes up the label (object will probably turn black in the live view)
4) Hit R  to bring up the ribbon in the MatGraph if its not there already
5) Rename the new 2 node material as "Label" or something much more creative and descriptive
6) Click the Disk icon (new generation of kids don't even know what that icon stands for :) to save it to your library. You can create a folder in the library for labels if you wish.
7) To use, drag any material to your object. Open the material in the MatGraph, drag the "Label" material you just made onto the MatGraph window and take the output port and drag it to the + to apply it as a label.
8) Pat yourself on the back for a job well done

While not as intuitive as we'd like, it works. Sort of a work around that with some massaging of the code and interface could be quite useful.

alexalexalex

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 10, 2018, 12:03:08 PM
Labels are essentially materials ...
Thanks!
It works, but I kinda wish edits updated across all instances...