How to simulate reactive pottery glaze

Started by CTBoyer1, September 12, 2018, 10:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTBoyer1

Pardon if this topic has been discussed before, I am new here and did not see a thread yet. I am going to try to render out some new pottery designs and will need to show a reactive glaze. A reactive glaze is one that drips down the sides of the contours and changes color as it reacts to these surface changes and flows.  This is a common artistic way to glaze pottery. Does anyone have any idea how I would go about creating this material/geometry if I wanted 3-4 color gradients/variations on a single piece? This seems like a daunting task and I am not sure where to begin. Thanks in advance!

CTBoyer1

So I've been thinking about this since I posted. I am going to try to map photos of similar reactive glazes onto the new designs. Not sure if this will work so well, as the objects in the photos will be 3D forms that have a lot of contours and textures. Any thoughts on doing this?

Will Gibbons

I think either someone would sculpt the geometry by hand, or more likely, model a container, then do a liquid/particle sim to create the drips. Then, color the drip geometry differently than the container geometry. Bring it all into KeyShot and start creating your materials.

I don't think you'll get the effect you want with bump textures. Even with displacement, this would be tough I think.

INNEO_MWo

Hm, that could be a tough but, but crack-able.

Maybe you can post any reference picture that shows the final result.
Cause I am sure that a skilled KeyShot user who isn't firm with glaze pottery could find a way without spending time on "how does it look like" searches?!?!

And I think with some textures for color and displacement and a duplicated part for the glaze (dielectric material with a color fade) could do this. And some fade pins should bring the extra touch?!

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco