Displacement used for condensation?

Started by TGS808, October 20, 2018, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS808

Attached is a shot that was featured in the "KeyShot 8 Sneak Peek" video. At the time the video was released, I assumed that water drops on the can were the result of the new displacement mapping feature (as the video wasn't specific about what new feature this image in particular was promoting). If this is the case, does anyone know how was it accomplished? What's the set up? If it's not the case, what new feature is this image promoting? (hoping the answer isn't that it is displacement but, on the ice cubes).

Thanks!

INNEO_MWo

The "ice-water.bip" in the scenes folder shows the solution. The waterdrops on the outside are build with displacement driven by a texture from the library.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Marco

DriesV

Hi TGS808,

I believe the Bubbles feature was used to add bubbles to the inside of the ice cubes.
The water drops on the can were generated in Cinema 4D though.

I hope that helps.

Dries

TGS808

Many thanks to both of you guys!

@Dries
I had suspected the droplets on that can were modeled (or from a particle system). Your statement that they were generated in C4D confirms it.

However...

@Marco
This scene is just what I was looking for. I had opened it briefly when I first got KS8 but I never let it res up sufficiently enough. At a quick glance, I thought it was all bubbles inside the glass not condensation on the outside of it. I actually tried a set up similar to this before posting my question but I just could not get the displacement settings to work out right and I'm pretty sure my maps for the displacement weren't quite up to snuff. Having this scene and it's materials to study will help tremendously. (the opacity map is key and I hadn't considered it at all) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!