Main Menu

Label Issue

Started by wayoutwestmultimedia, October 17, 2018, 08:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayoutwestmultimedia

Been using KS for a few months now and in order for me to place labels on a retail box I've had to do each side separately as compared to one solid file place on the model.  Is this the correct way to do this?

I'm also not entirely sure which method is best to use.  I've been told UV mapping is best because if I resize the model it scales the label as well. Tried looking for label tutorials and the only ones I could find were easier labels and adding textures and what not to them, not box wrapping.

Thanks.

mattjgerard

UV mapping is the gold standard and the way to do if you can. I was able to accomplish it exactly once in the past 2 years on one of my products, and it was glorious the way I could scale the thing to match the other equipment I was mounting it to. BUt alas, I have no clue how I did it or how to go about doing it again as most of my CAD files come directly from STL or creo assemblies which from what I can tell don't have UV maps.

I would like to take some time to figure out how to unwrap them and assign uv coordinates so that I can do this more often, as it is very useful.

wayoutwestmultimedia

I've been trying to find tutorials on my specific issue.  I design packaging for my company and I work with manufacturers and they give me die lines. I design my artwork based on the dies and export. Right now I'm exporting all sides plus any foil additions I need to layer on the model.  I'd love to figure out how to take my design (minus the die lines) and just place it on the model and voila.

My results have been great thus far using UV mapping but one hiccup I ran into is when I place a label on a side, it either reflects or somehow appears on another surface randomly.  So of course I lower it in the layer hierarchy to sort of fit ix.

Would love any advice from KS gurus. This is literally the only reason I purchased it. To make product shots and use them on our website and marketing.