Duel Intel Xeon Gold 6148 20 Core (x2=40 Core / 80 Threads) ------- 523 FPS!!!

Started by Secretive_Film_Dood, October 19, 2018, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Secretive_Film_Dood

Hi Everyone!

I created a new account to showcase my benchmark speeds without showing my hand. (Competition is real in the field! haha)

So I am running:

CPU - Duel Intel Xeon Gold 6148 20 Core 2.4 Ghz, which is 40 cores / 80 threads (I'm running a duel CPU server motherboard)
    OS - Windows 10 Pro 64 (I jumped ship from a career using Apple for this Beast!)
    Water Cooling Custom Loop
    Samsung 960 Pro 2 tb m.2
    Crucial 128 GB Ram (4 x 32) ddr4-2666 rdimm dcc
    EVGA | GEOFORCE GRX 1080Ti FTW3

The FPS - 523 Highs to 485 Lows, when fluctuating. Mostly around 515's

I had this custom built by a close friend specifically for Keyshot. On the first day, I created an instance pattern of a heavy 40 million poly model at - X x10, Y x 10, Z x 10 = 1000 Instances. It took 12 seconds to think, then wham! 1,000 models moving around smooth and fast like there was one! Insanity.

Thanks for checking this out and excusing my anonymity. I'd like to keep my edge before duel Thread Rippers rip up my advantage. Hahaha

Rex

Man that's some serious horsepower! Thanks for sharing the specs.

I think I have an idea of who you are ;)

Will Gibbons

I'll go ahead and say I'm properly jealous of that machine. Will you be posting any work here, or is this a one-and-done post from this profile?

mattjgerard

That's amazing. I know what it took to get my machine to 450fps, and from what I see that cost goes up logarithmically to get over 500! For a render machine that's a beast. I'm feeling more and more the divide between # of cores and core speed, as the 3d apps I use have a lot of single thread operations. But man, is that a new record?

Gordon

Ok, now I have to overclock my ThreadRipper2 to see if I can beat you :'P

Secretive_Film_Dood

Thanks Rex!

Thanks Will Gibbons! I am posting in my real profile here, but not disclosing my computer specs to keep my advantage as long as possible. Since I do not post render times, it's pretty hard to tell the difference.

Thanks mattjgerard! I spent a long time researching CPU speed and cores with regards to all my software. I wish Intel invented a multi-core CPU with a killer fast single-core processor. (Maybe just the single core has the fast speed, while the multi-cores are slow, but fast in numbers like they currently are.)

Don't do it Gordon!! XD Overclocking is dangerous! hehe Actually, that's precisely why I'm keeping my anonymity. The bump in my professional capabilities are profound. I'd rather keep that information harder to find while I pull ahead of the competition. Those Threadrippers are crazy accessible, and it's only gonna get easier in the future. My plan at that point is to begin building a complimentary server tower and keep adding server blades to increase my core count and stay ahead.

Thanks for the comments! Sorry I'm not posting my work to showcase what this system can do directly. I appreciate your discretion for the time being in that regard, but down the road, I will gladly discuss openly what affects it's had on my productivity and creativity.

menizzi

Why even post on the site then? Show off? Does not seem like you have anything to offer anyone.

What is the point of you even posting here? Honest question

DriesV

Nice specs and score!

I think I have an idea who the Secretive Film Dood is as well. ;)

Dries

Secretive_Film_Dood

Thanks DriesV! I'm not that well known, so I'd be flattered if anyone knew who I was. haha

Thanks menizzi for your honesty, no offense taken. I wanted to share my benchmark scores and computer specs for others to benefit from. I spent a long time searching forums and websites and did not find a single person using the server CPU / server Motherboard I got, and took an expensive gamble building my custom rig with the hopes that it would work as predicted. I communicated with several software companies and ran much of it by them months before committing to this build, so I wanted to share some of that info here with those who are searching within the same budget as I did, so they know what's possible. I also did not want to blatantly let the cat out of the bag before I even had the opportunity to benefit from the system myself, professionally speaking, but I did think there was merit in displaying the capabilities of such a system within this forum, even devoid of posting renders. What are your thoughts?

menizzi

I like your reply and it does make sense. If you have done that much research I would not want to just give it away either. Still I would hope in a few years you would share your findings.

As for one of your other comments you will never see duel Thread Rippers as that would eat into epic sales. I do think you will see 48 cores TR in the next few years and then 64 core TR 5 years from now. And with cooler master coming out with the pelting water cooling you can get some crazy over clocking if you want to pay the energy cost.

Again Thank you for your time.

Gordon

Secretive_Film_Dood

menizzi You're welcome. Thank you for asking for clarification. I don't think I'll be holding out years before sharing more directly my system specs and work examples. I hope I can produce work worthy of being promoted by the different software company websites like this here. If I produce good enough work showcasing the capabilities, I'd have to disclose the info in exchange for the promotion of my work. In that scenario, the gains may outweigh the cons of sharing the inside baseball, so to speak. I know a handful of artists out there that did things first, and by the time people caught up, they were onto the next thing, so I can only hope if I put enough hard work into it, I could achieve more. I think Keyshot, single handedly, has made the competition much tougher. Directors and producers now have a much harder time telling good design from not so good design when everything looks like a photograph. Realism often equates to quality, unfortunately, but I would not trade Keyshot for anything. It's done wonders to the design world. I started as a 2D person that learned 3D on the job, and Keyshot made rendering accessible to me. I can literally throw my entire pre-Keyshot portfolio in the trash. It's night and day. haha  Also, that's good to hear about TR's not being scalable / duel cpu systems. When I heard about the threadrippers, I was blown away! I have 80 threads, and it cost me an arm and a couple legs. It's going to be amazing to see that power in a single CPU at a fraction of the cost. Moore's law kicks ass! :D

Gordon Yikes! Hahaha I'm embarrassed to say, but the CPU's are roughly $3,000 each, and I got two of them, plus everything else. The CPU's are Intel's Gold series of "Scalable" multi-socket versions. I didn't make the purchase hastily, and spent a long time with my friend, who knows PC's better than myself, on how to build the greatest number of cores in one system. The network rendering fee from Luxion motivated me to build an all in one system as appose to paying the yearly fee to network together a dedicate multi-core render farm and fast single core speed design workstation. That's why I went for the server, multi-core, system. That's why it cost so much. It took me a while to save up, so I spent that time researching and fine tuning the parts list. From the Intel site about the Xeon Gold series CPU's:

"With support for the highest memory speeds, memory capacity, and enhanced four-socket scalability, the Intel® Xeon® Gold 6000 processor family delivers significant improvement in performance, advanced reliability, and hardware-enhanced security. It is optimized for demanding mainstream data center, multi-cloud compute, and network and storage workloads.  The Intel® Xeon® Gold processor 5000 family delivers improved performance with affordable advanced reliability and hardware-enhanced security. With up-to four-socket scalability, it is suitable for an expanded range of workloads"

(Scroll down and click on Gold: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/scalable/xeon-scalable-platform.html)

Gordon

My strategy on hardware is that during my work day I should be working in KS setting up models, not rendering.  So my TR2 box is designed to give me sufficiently high frame rate to work efficiently with little lag to develop the models as fast as possible and get them into the Network Rendering queue. 

I use Network Rendering to do the 'heavy lifting', working 24/7.  Currently I only have a 96CPU NR license, so I want to maximize the effectiveness of those cores so I have tried to get high clock speeds of the cores I am using.  So I have 3 machines running the AMD 1950x or 2950x cpu to get me 96 cores running at 3.4+GHz.  My total cost for hardware is <$9k (3 NR machines at $2k each plus 1 TR2 running KS as my main PC) plus $1.5k/yr cost for Network Rendering license.  So in total I have 160 cores available.  Need to come up with a way to calculate my 'effective frame rate' with this setup, but I would imagine it's close to 1000fps after some latency for the Network Rendering is factored in, approaching 1400 fps when all CPUs are actually chugging along at full capacity (running 2 jobs in parallel).

If you are in the US an looking at building new machines, keep in mind that Black Friday is 1 month away, so you'll be able to score some deals on components soon.

menizzi

Well,

Put Intel on suicide watch. Amd *ROME* is 64 Core/Single Socket benchmarks higher then Duel 8180 platinum's in c-ray.. beat it by 2 seconds
https://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-7nm-64-core-cpu-performance-benchmark-leak/

64 Tread rippers to follow. No idea when but you know its coming in a few years.

Secretive_Film_Dood

Quote from: Gordon on October 26, 2018, 11:15:14 AM
My strategy on hardware is that during my work day I should be working in KS setting up models, not rendering.  So my TR2 box is designed to give me sufficiently high frame rate to work efficiently with little lag to develop the models as fast as possible and get them into the Network Rendering queue. 

I use Network Rendering to do the 'heavy lifting', working 24/7.  Currently I only have a 96CPU NR license, so I want to maximize the effectiveness of those cores so I have tried to get high clock speeds of the cores I am using.  So I have 3 machines running the AMD 1950x or 2950x cpu to get me 96 cores running at 3.4+GHz.  My total cost for hardware is <$9k (3 NR machines at $2k each plus 1 TR2 running KS as my main PC) plus $1.5k/yr cost for Network Rendering license.  So in total I have 160 cores available.  Need to come up with a way to calculate my 'effective frame rate' with this setup, but I would imagine it's close to 1000fps after some latency for the Network Rendering is factored in, approaching 1400 fps when all CPUs are actually chugging along at full capacity (running 2 jobs in parallel).

If you are in the US an looking at building new machines, keep in mind that Black Friday is 1 month away, so you'll be able to score some deals on components soon.

Thanks Gordon for the info! That three rig setup is awesome! I was really influenced by Luxion's Network Rendering fee, so I chose to build a solid main unit free of that fee, for which I planned to start building a server rack down the road and add server blades / network them together like you have done. I'm in no position to purchase any more gear, but late next year I may consider adding cores. Thanks again for your input!