Duel Intel Xeon Gold 6148 20 Core (x2=40 Core / 80 Threads) ------- 523 FPS!!!

Started by Secretive_Film_Dood, October 19, 2018, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Secretive_Film_Dood

Quote from: menizzi on November 06, 2018, 02:05:58 PM
Well,

Put Intel on suicide watch. Amd *ROME* is 64 Core/Single Socket benchmarks higher then Duel 8180 platinum's in c-ray.. beat it by 2 seconds
https://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-7nm-64-core-cpu-performance-benchmark-leak/

64 Tread rippers to follow. No idea when but you know its coming in a few years.

Siiick! Thanks menizzi!

That is looking like a beast! It's not going to be long before affordable killer machines are broadly adopted. I'm looking forward to that and plan to start building a server rack with server blades running those future CPU's. By the time these become widely used, I'll hopefully stay ahead of that curve by networking my current rig with an ever increasing server rack, doubling my core count as often is practical / affordable to do so.

Hopefully Intel will feel the burn and start competing hard against these new CPU's. The power of these CPU's in all the computer industries like film will start becoming dramatic. I'm optimistic and excited for things to come.

Thanks for the link and info on this 64 Core insanity! I felt bad when my budget fell short of 22 cores and had to settle with 20 cores for each of my duel socket CPU's. LOL 64!!!

menizzi

No problem. This was done on a demo chip as well so we are going to see some gains as the final chip comes to market. Rumor mill is that AMD is not going to let up and is going to bump Ryzen from 8 cores to 16 cores and I think Think TR will get a bump from 32 cores to 48 cores at the end of next year early 2020. 

Will Gibbons

Quote from: menizzi on November 09, 2018, 05:13:18 AM
No problem. This was done on a demo chip as well so we are going to see some gains as the final chip comes to market. Rumor mill is that AMD is not going to let up and is going to bump Ryzen from 8 cores to 16 cores and I think Think TR will get a bump from 32 cores to 48 cores at the end of next year early 2020.

We can hope!

DMerz III

Legitimately curious!

:) still confused about the secrecy... If we know your identity, how will this create more competition?

Secretive_Film_Dood

Quote from: DMerz III on November 13, 2018, 05:14:45 PM
Legitimately curious!

:) still confused about the secrecy... If we know your identity, how will this create more competition?

Hello DMerz III! Thanks for the inquiry! I spent a long time researching with not a single example of the rig I decided to build, so I'd like to use my hardware first before showing the gains to the competition. We all know, more cores = faster renders, but to what degree, how much you can spend and what kind of render timelines vs quality can be expected is still a bit obscured, especially in my part of the entertainment industry. I did post some info here, but not enough to warrant anyone spending the amount I just did without seeing the results. For the techies here, the Benchmark is useful, nonetheless. There's much to be gained by hardware / software advantages and it's difficult to maintain advantages very long these days, as I've been planning this upgrade for nearly three years. Also, there are other tools that I can now take advantage of that I never could have before, outside of Keyshot as well. If everyone has a super computer, nobody does, so hopefully toward the end of 2019 I'll start upgrading to a larger render network just as other pros invest in a similar system. Long story short, If I knew then what I know now, I would have upgraded years ago. 

Does that clarify?