Main Menu

Kitchen update

Started by Speedster, April 16, 2013, 05:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Thanks all for pushing me on this!  It's all in the lighting and details, as Tim always points out.  Way more work than I was planning, as we just wanted to look at cabinet color and countertops for the next step of the remodel.  But hey, it was fun, and a much needed break from the nasty medical device I've been on for almost a year.

Thickened the countertop to match our planned composite granite overlay.  We use both soffit and undercabinet lighting, so I modeled those in and used diffused area lights, as is the ceiling.  Added our kitchen stuff, like the coffee maker and Geri's teapot, and the dish rack with our favorite Fiesta Ware for a much needed spot of color, a tip I learned from Egon.  SolidWorks model updated like a champ!

Environment is the basic kitchen, with the brightness turned way down, but there to give a reflection on the fridge.  Not much of it gets in, except through the missing wall in the foreground.

Hate to do it, but "back to work"!

Bill G

TpwUK

Speedster

I was curious how caustics behaved with only a diffuse area light, so I did a closeup.  Diffuse Area lights under the cabinet, and one applied to the ceiling.  "Kitchen" environment almost down to zero.  Impressed!

I am curious, however, as to why the walls have a dirty look (which they are not!), in the shadow areas.  The basic wall material is a matte paint, with specular off- actually a diffuse basic material.  But I tested various levels of specularity, as well as out-of-the-box matte, as well as increasing shadow quality to 2.  No difference except the cast light edges through the window being soft or hard.   Does not seem to apply to any other materials.  Any clues?

Bill G

feher

Back to work......no stay, keep doing more interior stuff.
Really nice stuff Bill.
It's fun being able to model up what you want done then materialize it so you can see your vision come to life.
Would love to see some more of your medical images you do.
You have anything fun I can play with ? It's been awhile since we worked on something together.
Tim