How to render something like an RGB case fan?

Started by helloworld, October 27, 2018, 08:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helloworld

Hi,
reading here since using Keyshot, I just registered and starting to ask and maybe answer someone's questions.

I need to render something best compared to a RGB case fan with KeyShot. Like this: https://uae.microless.com/cdn/products/c3cf08d472e069a7e2a8f898310769e5-md.jpg

The 3D model is like a fan, frame and the circle (no LED in it, just a circle). I want to simulate how these fans behave, like switching from one color to another color, but also showing like 12 colors at the same time and then animate it like breathing, blinking, etc... So far the 3d model has no single LEDs and the first attempt was to take a RGB circle picture and clicking around in label section and making the frame glow... it works somehow weird with very lots of clicking around, but isn't really controllable when coming to animations...
Make a long question short: Shall we implent every single LEDs into the white plastic frame like in the real world or is there anything I don't know yet (like e.g. almost everything in Keyshot...)?

Thanks.

RRIS

Probably the easiest to do is to make the LED ring as a single ring-shaped surface.
Then, animate the LED's in a video editing package (or photoshop) and apply the resulting movie to a self-illuminating material as diffuse map.
I've done this in the past with pulsing LED's and displays. A downside is that you need to know the length and framerate of your animation to match it in your texture movie.

Will Gibbons

I think a simpler solution is to use multiple colored LEDs placed around the fan blades and have them be physical lights (like area lights) and then animate the fan blade so it's rotating. Just turn on motion blur and it should work. Based on the amount of rotation and your frame rate, you can dial in how blurred the fan looks.