Need tips for improving realism in interior bathroom scene

Started by Firplak, August 08, 2018, 08:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firplak

We are a kitchen and bath company based in MedellĂ­n Colombia, we been using keyshot for the past year to make all our new marketing (Catalogue and website) material, we achieve acceptable quality, but we need to improve many aspects of our workflow, techniques and some technical aspects.

Please keyshot team support us with tips and suggestions so we can improve our work.

Thanks.

fertonon

Hello,
One improvement I'd do regards your mirror. Since it is frameless, it's so polished it looks like a window rather than a mirror reflection. A tiny bit of roughness should make it better.
It feels like the overall scene lacks shadows/highlights, but I'm not sure about your configs so I can't give any thoughts.
PS. Love the plants on the wall!
Saludos,
Fernando

RRIS

I'm not sure if your scales are correct, I assume you model to real-world dimensions? It just seems like that bathtub is way too tall for example (looks like it's taller than the sink)? Another example is that plant, I know what type plant that is and in real life it's much bigger than that. So, take a close look at scale for each part (especially parts that are imported, they may have different unit scales.

Another issue is with your textures. Take another look at those bricks and wood textures. You're mixing different texture sizes and they don't line up anywhere. Then the marble floor texture looks oversized..

Also, add geometry detail where possible. Right now for example your walls transfer directly into floor (is it a tiled floor btw? Or one single huge slab of marble?). Make a small gap or put a plinth, or model some filler.. Small details like that help a lot.

Study on creating better looking materials.. use roughness maps in combination with bump maps.. even for boring stuff like painted white walls. And make sure the colors of your maps come across as realistic. Everything looks a little too pale right now.

Finally, your background image. Don't make it so powerful and over-saturated, compared to the rest of your scene. Take something that doesn't distract (unless you want to show a real-world view) and keep in mind camera focus. If you have your interior sharp, you'd expect to see some focus blur on distant mountains.

Hope this helps!

MR.R

In my experience with  bathroom interior scene, I would use a enclosed environment rather than just the scene. This will make more realistic light bounces and shadows..