Anyone tested the 2990wx new threadripper?

Started by PerFotoVDB, October 25, 2018, 02:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerFotoVDB

Hi

We want to buy new machines and are doubting between the 2950 and the 2990wx processor.

Anyone tested these?

Tnx,
Per

joseph

Hi Per,

Gordon posted his result 497fps for 2990WX while the 2950x got 305 on the Threadripper 2  post

Furniture_Guy

Many reviewers feel that the 2950x is adequate for most users but if it's KeyShot performance you're looking for the 2990WX is the only way to go.

Remember, it's all about the cores...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

MQ

I'm using a 2990WX and get 465-500 FPS in the benchmark.

Hardware specs are:

AMD Threadripper 2 2990WX
32GB Memory
Samsung 970 EVO
Asus X399-A Prime Mainboard
GeForce Quadro P1000

Total cost was around 3000$ and the machine is an absolute beast.

The 2990WX should be almost double the speed compared to the 2950X.

edit: I can totally recommend the Noctua NH-U14S with two fans. Even after several dozen hours of rendering the CPU stays at max boost and at around 60°C.

PerFotoVDB

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, the more cores you throw at it the better it should be.
But, I came across this review which involved the 2950x qnd 2990wx being benchmarked in keyshot (that is pretty rare).
I surprised me and leaves me doubting.
The speed increase from a 2990wx compared to the 2950x is not double...which the tester describes as being a potential software issue.

https://techgage.com/article/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-32-core-workstation-processor-review/4/

Cheers
Per

Rex

Thank you for sharing the 2990WX review. The discrepancy between product and interior mode is quite interesting. We will investigate.

mafrieger

Quote from: Rex on October 26, 2018, 10:29:12 AM
Thank you for sharing the 2990WX review. The discrepancy between product and interior mode is quite interesting. We will investigate.

looks like something related to the memory bandwith each core can use (same numbers of memory channels (4) per cpu (16c, 32c), means same bandwith, means doubling the core numbers, each core only has half the memory bandwith)

and in addition the special method memory is connected to the cores of threadripper 2:
not every core has direct access to memory.

If interior mode needs a far higher memory bandwith per core, one may see this huge differences.

Just have a look at this review: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13124/the-amd-threadripper-2990wx-and-2950x-review

If not all cores / processes needs the same memory bandwith, there may be coming a solution called "Dynamic Local Mode" at October 29th which automatically pushes the most demanding processes to the cores with the fastest memory access (shortest way)
see https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2018/10/05/previewing-dynamic-local-mode-for-the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-wx-series-processors

helloworld

Using TR 2990x and it's very nice, coming from a TR 1800x. Like 420 fps I think.

Problem is temperature, with 360 watercooling it's directly 67 degrees when entering Keyshot and Rendering.
Sometimes the screen just got black and PC is shut down. Have to turn off PSU then and restart PC.
It's rendering like 32 cores with 3,4 GHz but heat or something else is a real problem on our configuration. I think shutdowns coming from too hot VRM on die MSI X399... Still trying to find out, changed case now with better airflow.

But regarding MQ and his 60 degrees after hours of rendering, I think our watercooling has a problem like too small for the big TR4 cpu...

Gordon

Typically 70 degrees indicates one of the following:
- Poor contact with the CPU  (i.e. bracket isn't holding the thermal block correctly)
- Poor thermal grease distribution
- Fans fighting each other (i.e. all of them sucking in air but nowhere for hot air to go).  Usually internal case temps jump though.
- Pump on water cooling not working right

helloworld

Thank you Gordon. I think the base of the cooling plate is just too small. It's tr4 compatible, but does not cover the cpu completely...  X72 and other astek coolers aren't good for tr4 it seems...

menizzi

You need to cover ALL of the TR4 cpu. That is your problem. You must not be into computers [H]ard Core. Who runs any cpu with out covering the whole cpu? lol
Head on over to https://hardforum.com/ look around. We are a group of nerds.
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-evo-threadripper-edition-full-nickel
http://www.xs-pc.com/waterblocks-cpu-amd/

MQ

Quote from: helloworld on October 27, 2018, 08:24:41 AM
But regarding MQ and his 60 degrees after hours of rendering, I think our watercooling has a problem like too small for the big TR4 cpu...

I use the following setup:

Case:
-Phanteks Enthoo Pro with removed HDD bay
Fans:
-200mm in the front, blowing in
-140mm in the rear and top blowing out
Cooler:
Noctua NH-U14S with two fans

I'm rendering lots of 4K animations which takes several days, and CPU temp never rises above max. 61-62°C at about 22°C room temp.

Considering it's a ~3000$ machine I'm super impressed, especially compared to the Dual Xeon 6148 build for 3x the price tag.

See the attached screenshot for my temperatures. It's just 15 minutes, but the temperature doesn't raise much more, even after hours. Main reason for using air cooling instead of liquid cooling was reliability and safety.

PerFotoVDB

Hi

Thanks for the many replies.

The test where I refer to also shows Keyshot having trouble scaling linearly. Something it is advertised to do.
However what we see is the 2990wx  having double the cores to the 2950x but barely double the speed.

Is this something in this something in Keyshot or the processor? Or should we wait till 'dynamic local mode' to see better cpu core usage?

Cheers

kreita

Are there any workstation solutions out there that can run two 2990WX's? If so, would Keyshot be able to utilize both processors??

Thanks,

menizzi

No. That is what epic is for. It would also cut into sales.