Anyone tested the 2990wx new threadripper?

Started by PerFotoVDB, October 25, 2018, 02:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

amd epycs are server class cpus, and therefore are geared towards more durability and less raw speed. While they look like they would be quite the animal, I have yet to hear of anyone building a system with them for rendering. I would guess that the MB's and compnents are quite a bit more expensive than just building another 2990wx box. Only thing there would be the added expense of a NR license.

alexalexalex

Quote from: kreita on November 01, 2018, 03:48:36 PM
Are there any workstation solutions out there that can run two 2990WX's? If so, would Keyshot be able to utilize both processors??

Thanks,
Yea that would be wild but like above said, only the Epyc allows that, it is a server processor. 

Furniture_Guy

I'm about to pull the trigger on my new build and would appreciate any and all input on the components:

1.   AMD - Threadripper 2990WX 3GHz 32-Core Processor

2.   ASUS X399 Zenith Extreme TR4 E-ATX motherboard

3.   Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler

4.   Kingston - HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

5.   Samsung - 970 Pro 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

6.   Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal HD

7.   NVIDIA NVS 510 Graphics Card 0B47077

8.   Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case

9.   Corsair - HX Platinum 850W 80+ Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

10.   Samsung - SH-224GB/BSBE DVD/CD Writer

11.   Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

THANKS!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

DMerz III

As someone who has only 16GB of Ram, and wanted to buy another 16GB the other day, but the price doubled on the exact sticks I currently have. I would invest in more RAM now, you're going to want it eventually.

Otherwise, looks like a beast in the making, would love to know your final cost at the end! I am thinking about investing in a similar build.

mattjgerard

I'd bump the RAM to 32. 16 will be riding the edge, depending on what other apps you might use. Otherwise looks like a solid build. I'm still running SSD's in my workstation, haven't made the jump the the M2 drives yet.

You might want to mirror that spinning drive, or figure a way to get a larger drive and use as a backup of the main m2 and the spinning drive.

Here's the PC parts picker build for this one I knocked up real quick. The 510 card wasn't on there, so went with the 1060 at about $80 more. But could drop to the 1050 if needed/. Total as it sits there is $3234.78   

Will Gibbons

As others said M.2 drives will really speed up using large textures and such. I am grateful I've got a couple of them on my mobo. Your mobo should have slots for them.

I have the 1950x (16-core, 32-thread) and it's currently been rendering an animation for 3 days now on all cores and the temp is at 41C... I use the enermax liquitech AIO... while I know air-cooled is possible, I'd push you toward liquid. Easy to build/install and is the best at keeping that CPU cool as far as I know. Well worth the money.

Furniture_Guy

Guys,

Thank you very much for all the valuable input!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Will Gibbons on November 13, 2018, 11:06:44 AM
I have the 1950x (16-core, 32-thread) and it's currently been rendering an animation for 3 days now on all cores and the temp is at 41C... I use the enermax liquitech AIO... while I know air-cooled is possible, I'd push you toward liquid. Easy to build/install and is the best at keeping that CPU cool as far as I know. Well worth the money.

Hmm, that is pretty damn cold, Will.
My 1950x with the Noctua U14S runs at around 60C on full load. Quite a difference. I'm enticed to switch to a water cooler now. Didn't know the difference would be that big.

DriesV

Hmm, I would be surprised if the temperature difference between air and aio water cooling is 20 degrees for the same workload. ???

Dries

DMerz III

I have a coolmaster watercooler on my i7 6700k, under load averages around 60C. In the winter, if I open my windows here in Chicago, I can get it down to 40C but really it pisses off my wife. =)

joseph

Technology (PC) related cooling is still reliant on ambient temperature, we humans can adapt  :P and machines  force majeure  :-\

designgestalt

Quote from: DMerz III on November 14, 2018, 02:06:29 PM
I have a coolmaster watercooler on my i7 6700k, under load averages around 60C. In the winter, if I open my windows here in Chicago, I can get it down to 40C but really it pisses off my wife. =)

LOL !!
plus 1 for this comment ...

PerFotoVDB

Hi guys,

Running now for a month or so our new 2990wx based workstations with keyshot.
Renders incredible fast now. Working in the viewport with large models is now a delight.

Highly recommend this type of build for anyone. We spend around 3.5K/eur/exVAT on it.
So well worth the investment.

Cheers
Per

Tharic-Nar

Just letting people know if they have a 2970WX or a 2990WX and run into issues with performance not scaling properly, you can try enabling DLM from AMD or CorePrio for thread adjustment in Windows. We haven't tested KeyShot 8.0 due to some bugs we were having with it, but under 7.3 we saw a dramatic increase in performance with CorePrio enabled.

I don't want to spam our site, so we'll just leave the link to the updated look at Threadripper here, and a related thread in this forum:
https://techgage.com/article/threadripper-2990wx-performance-coreprio/

We see people coming to our site (Techgage) from these forums because of our render benchmarks with our workstation testing, so we're just keeping you apprised to some additional testing that should help people if they've run into performance issues with the two top-end Threadrippers. Be aware that CorePrio doesn't work all the time, it's still a bit fussy, and may require you to start and stop a render a couple of times for the thread manager to kick in properly.

KeyShot

We also added some optimizations in the upcoming 8.2 release of KeyShot that significantly improves performance of interior mode (the bathroom scene) on the threadripper.