Render region output auto-crop to pixel bounds

Started by PerFotoVDB, October 25, 2018, 02:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerFotoVDB

Hi,

We often make us of the render region function.
It's a real time saver.

However, the output file still has the full resolution.
Would it be possible to have the output of the render region be auto-cropped to the bounds of the generated pixels? Or be be able to choose this with a checkbox next to the render region in the render settings.

I could be wrong but is this not possible by extending the exr format in Keyshot?

Or maybe a render selected could prove useful to extend the render region functionality?

Many thanks
Per

DriesV

Hi Per,

Why would this be useful?
Would it not complicate compositing the region rendering on top of the full image?

Dries
(Fellow Belgian?)

soren

The exr format is actually quite flexible here (not so for the other output formats).

exr has a pixel region and a view region. The pixel-region will contain the rendered pixels and the view region contains the actual size of the image (just the dimensions of the image not the pixels). If you render a 100 x 100 region in a 1000 x 1000 image, only the pixels within 100 x 100 are actually stored in the exr file. The exr-file just carries the additional information about where the 100 x 100 region is located within the 1000 x 1000 pixel image. So if you are worried about large file sizes, this is already handled by the exr output from KeyShot.

Søren

mattjgerard

I'm of the dame mid as Dries, as I do this quite a bit when making small changes to larger renders. It saves a ton of time, and the fact that I can drop in a region render file into a current PSD that I've already put a ton of work into and not have to line it up manually is quite handy.

I guess I could see making it optional, and would be part of the post processing part of the render process to have the image clipped to non-transparent pixel boundaries, but I don't really see the benefit.

I did not know that about the exr format, thanks to Soren for that bit of info. I've been playing with exr outputs and trying to see if they would provide any improvements over my standard 8bit psd files, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. No heavy compositing, just simple post work.

PerFotoVDB

2DriesV:

Yes, fellow Belgian. Antwerp born and raised.

Cheers
Per