Issue with labels and DOF

Started by dlap4229, November 06, 2018, 01:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlap4229

I am new to keyshot 8 so maybe something with the new update requires a specific tweak but Im having an issue with labels being blurry  when trying to render with a depth of field. The rest of the image has the appropriate setting and final result I am after its just the label is more blurry than it should be.

anyone else notice this? is there a fix?

Thanks

TGS808

Can you possibly post an example the results you got so we can see what you're referring to?

KeyShot

An example would indeed be helpful.

dlap4229

attached is an image of the issue- the screen and the lower labels should be crisp.

bdesign

Are these labels below the screen geometry, and if so, does the geometry have a Cloudy Plastic material applied, or a material with Roughness Transmission enabled?

Cheers,
Eric

dlap4229

All labels are placed on top of hard plastic materials with plastic properties applied to them. there is no roughness applied to any of them. Ive done this same method repeatedly since day one using KS- it was until this update that there was a conflict with the DOF.

Turning off the DOF results in the crisp label I expect to see.

INNEO_MWo

With activated DOF are there differences between the render settings max samples mode and advanced control?

dlap4229

I set the DOF setting to 8 or 10 , all others stay the same

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: dlap4229 on November 09, 2018, 05:59:33 AM
I set the DOF setting to 8 or 10 , all others stay the same

Then try the max samples or max time mode.

Will Gibbons

I imagine the issue here is scale. If you open the geometry view, you can see some planes that show the focal point and the depth of field. You should see 3 planes. Increase the f-stop number in the DoF settings to push those planes apart. Keep increasing the number until you see the 3 planes. The plane in the center is the one that is 100% in-focus, the others mark where it gets blurry. The F-stop maxes out at 250.

You may need to go to a really high number depending on your camera's distance from the object as well as your focal point and the scale of your scene.