No OpenVDB animation in KS8?

Started by Nicklas Holmgren, December 07, 2018, 06:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicklas Holmgren

Hi!

I've been looking a lot at the new features in Keyshot 8 and am especially excited about the scattering medium and support for density textures via VDB.

I did see in the "Webinar 74: What's New in KeyShot 8" one of the bullet points (at 14:16) says "No .vdb animation" but it isn't mentioned by the speaker. This is the only place where I've seen mention of it either way.

So my question is essentially: is the VDB support limited to single frames and intended only for still shots?

I have used some fluid simulations for flour-type materials for work previously but have lacked a renderer to use it fully. So my initial excitement about the feature coming to Keyshot was potentially being able to render fluid animations here.

Follow up question assuming there is indeed no animated density texture support, a workaround could be to render animations in a "stop motion" fashion... Sequentially load VDB files and render every frame separately. This is what I did for deformed surfaces before alembic support was included. A density material is more complex though and not having played around with it myself yet it's tough to guess at. Maybe someone else has tried already?