Help with Marble

Started by abuck, November 08, 2018, 09:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abuck

Hello material and keyshot masters.
I need a little advice as I haven't done a lot with material mapping before.
I have a shape and I'm trying to map a realistic marble pattern on the surface but its not looking so great.
I've looked at a few video tutorials but still no luck. :-\
Any suggestions or tips?
Cheers.

evilmaul

procedural marble isnt the most realistic  if thats the look you shooting for. you better off downloading a big enough texture of marble out of the internet and use that instead

abuck

Thanks evilmaul!
Since I'm new to this, can I ask what you mean by downloading a "big enough texture" from the internet. Do you mean downloading an image file like a .jpg or .png, if so do you have any recommendations on size? Or is there a different type of texture file I should look for?
Cheers!

mattjgerard

Https://www.poliigon.com/search?category=marble

Check this site out, there are some freebies on there in the marble category.

abuck

@mattjgerard
Thanks, this is an amazing resource, I didn't even know it existed. If you have any other resources you find helpful, please do share if you don't mind.
cheers!

mattjgerard

Happy to help. That and grabcad.com are my 2 most used resources, other than google image searches for reference images.

Be sure to watch the tutorials on how to use the poliigon textures in KS, there are some specifics on how to layer them in the matgraph.

abuck

@mattjgerard
Thanks for the advice.
I watched the video on poliigon's website but I'll check out the one on KS too.
Thanks for sharing! ;D

designgestalt

there is also (who would have doubted it ...??) a tutorial from Esben Oxholm, great and genius as usual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdSYRFUWDRk

cheers
designgestalt