Translucent paper thin leather material

Started by jurepog, November 30, 2018, 08:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurepog

Hello!

I'm having difficulties creating a material that is translucent, coloured with a noise bump. I would need it to let more light trough thinner parts which could be controlled by a texture and less light trough imperfections and creases where the material doubles up. All the materials I've used and modified that could work end up looking like glass or way too plastic like.

Here is a link of what I would like it to look like:
https://hiconsumption.com/2017/05/ecco-apparition-jacket/[url]]https://hiconsumption.com/2017/05/ecco-apparition-jacket///

My scene is in the attachment.
If anyone has any ideas that work, I'd be really grateful!

KeyShot

For this type of material I would recommend cloudy plastic.

jurepog

Cloudy plastic sound great when you look at it as is. The troubles come when you have something behind the material wether that be a light source or just a regular element. I could not get the settings to show the material like in real life, letting trough a certain amount of colour of the geometry behind it in relation to it's distance and also increasing the blur as you move it away from each other. A light source will totally blow out the material and it won't hold its colour to the desired amount and there is no setting for that.
I have tried adding a colour gradient as the opacity layer and setting it to mid gray to get it partially transparent but it just messes up the translucency blur of the material.
I'd love to get some deeper insight on this if anyone has time and the will

designgestalt

hello Jurepog,
I am not so sure, what you are after, but this would be my go on your scene...
I threw the noise texture out, as it only takes away the translucency and doesn´t do much else to the material.
I rather worked with the settings of the material...
and yes, you are right, the light does blow out the material quite a bit, I would rather go for an emissive maybe, but that is also a bit personal preference, I guess ...
let me know, whgat you think ...
cheers
designgestalt