Pick to light assemblies application images

Started by mattjgerard, November 16, 2018, 01:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Latest 2 images for work. The Pick to Light display/touch panel directs workers to the proper bins with pick counts displayed on the face, and counts can be logged either by touching the light or the sensor underneath the unit will sense when a hand is reached into the bin. All parts other than the PTL unit itself are either modeled by me or snarfed from grabcad. I have all the references that I will gather and post. Floor is from Polligon. Modeled and assembled in Cinema 4D and Keyshot8.

My lighting is getting better, but am still trying to strike that balance between lighting and material work. The next level for these images (which the boss doesn't want) is to bang up everything and make it look more real with imperfections. Unfortunately these images are used for educational purposes, so many times artful decisions are declined in light of clarity of use. Open to suggestions on stuff as always, would really  like to try to push these on my personal time and get more dramatic lighting and camera angles while pushing my material skills a bit further.

Cheers everyone! I'm able to do this work because of all you awesome people on here. Kudos to you, and those luxion people that chime in. Never been part of a community with such involvement from the company. Truly unique, I know Maxon could learn a bit from that :)

Furniture_Guy

Matt - Man, you got skills...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Eric Summers

Looks good Matt! That's a lot of stuff to do material work on! I like those displays, they look really good. This is a small detail, but the 80/20 could be a little less shiny. I know the 80/20 I've worked with is more matte because of the anodizing. And perhaps a bit of a bump on the wood work surface. However, since these are for educational purposes I think the look is appropriate. It gets the point across well.

mattjgerard

Quote from: Eric Summers on November 19, 2018, 12:22:24 PM
Looks good Matt! That's a lot of stuff to do material work on! I like those displays, they look really good. This is a small detail, but the 80/20 could be a little less shiny. I know the 80/20 I've worked with is more matte because of the anodizing. And perhaps a bit of a bump on the wood work surface. However, since these are for educational purposes I think the look is appropriate. It gets the point across well.
Great minds think alike.  You hit on the top two things that bug me about these images. The 80/20 that we have in the office is extruded and therefore has a slightly brushed texture to it, but the way that these particular models are made, the normals go in every dang direction I could not for the life of me to get the brushed texture to all go the same way. Deadlines dictated that I had to let that one go. But I totally agree on the shiny factor.

The wood surface on the cart was a last minute " I hate this less" than what was on there. It was a metal top cart, but I was just getting to too much reflection and could not get it to look good, so I dropped this on from the cloud library and done. Oddly, there is a bump and a specular map for it, and I played with it for a bit but couldn't figure out how to get it to pop more. Its at that point that I figured its a lighting thing, and I didn't have the time to troubleshoot that, since the product was looking OK.

And yeah, I'm really happy with how the displays turned out, the LCD segments are just emissive with the red transparent plastic on the lens. There are times when I fight for something, and spend waaaay to much time on it, but then there are the times like those displays where it took me 2 minutes and looks good.