Softening the displacement

Started by Josip_ZG, January 14, 2019, 01:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josip_ZG

Hi, everyone. I have a question about the way I can add more versatility my surface imperfections.
I want to create a worn screwdriver and I've found a map that would do okay. The displacement map height is in negative value and the same map is used as an opacity map on a label material, so I get the effect of a material that is worn and torn so much that another material is visible under it.

The problem is that the texture I used is too monotone, so the transition between dark and light value on edges is very harsh. How to make the fall-of effect on edges? Can it be done in Keyshot somehow, maybe with occlusion texture? I attached the render and the texture. No post-processing was applied.

Thanks,

Josip

RRIS

I use photoshop with the 'outer glow' layer effect on a new layer with my selection.

Josip_ZG

Quote from: RRIS on January 14, 2019, 03:22:14 AM
I use photoshop with the 'outer glow' layer effect on a new layer with my selection.

Thank you very much, I knew it had to be something simple.

Esben Oxholm

I add a basic gaussian blur filter (in Photoshop) for fixing these kind of problems.
Unfortunately not possible directly inside KeyShot.

Josip_ZG

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 14, 2019, 11:33:14 AM
I add a basic gaussian blur filter (in Photoshop) for fixing these kind of problems.
Unfortunately not possible directly inside KeyShot.

Thank you, Esben, appreciate your reply.