Main Menu

My running list of whishes

Started by Esben Oxholm, November 28, 2018, 05:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

Hi guys.
Stumble upon a lot of small ideas/wishes when I work, but forget to write it down somewhere.
To make up for that, this thread will act as a notebook for stuff I come across.

Wish #1
A way to manage missing links. At the moment you can just hit ok and then you have to go on a search for the material containing the texture that can't be found.
Also when adding a row of studios to the rendering queue, it's a bit annoying that you have to hit ok for every studio that the same textures are missing.

A little link management feature like inDesign would be very cool. Or like After Effects when you open a project with missing links. A menu where you can see all missing files, choose to go search for them, replace them with another file or ignore the missing file and never be bothered with it again.

Cheers,

Esben Oxholm

Wish #2
In one of the newer updates of Photoshop, when you open up the blending mode dropdown of an layer and hover above any of the blending modes, the result is shown right away before you click and select one.
Would be nice if the same could be made for the blending modes in the color composite node. A preview of how the textures will blend just by hovering above a blend mode, without the need to left-click it to see what it will look like.

Esben Oxholm

Wish #3
The possibility to view and edit rendering settings for any job in the rendering queue.

Esben Oxholm

Wish #4
That when you copy and paste a group of nodes in the material graph, they will appear in an empty space in the graph and not on top of other nodes.

Eugen Fetsch

+1 on Wish #1 - Better path linking, relative paths and search for missing files option.

+1 on Wish #4 - They should appear at least under the mouse cursor and be all selected so you can move them.

DMerz III

KeyShot

These suggestions are great indeed. We will add them to our list. Thanks!

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: KeyShot on November 30, 2018, 07:30:33 PM
These suggestions are great indeed. We will add them to our list. Thanks!
Thanks, glad you think so. More to come :)

theAVator

Esben Oxholm

Wish #5
A gaussian blur node to blur bitmaps and procedurals used for bump and displacement.
Will save a ton of time spent in Photoshop to create and adjust additional maps. :)

Eugen Fetsch

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on December 04, 2018, 11:44:17 AM
Wish #5
A gaussian blur node to blur bitmaps and procedurals used for bump and displacement.
Will save a ton of time spent in Photoshop to create and adjust additional maps. :)

+1 for that. I've already asked for it in the KS8 Beta - it would be so useful for displacement maps. But was told that it will not happen. :)

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: camomiles on December 05, 2018, 12:37:43 PM
Quote from: Esben Oxholm on December 04, 2018, 11:44:17 AM
Wish #5

+1 for that. I've already asked for it in the KS8 Beta - it would be so useful for displacement maps. But was told that it will not happen. :)

I asked for it already back in KS6, then again at KS7 and now I'll try again. I know they are quite hesitant on this one and I think one of the developers tried explaining me why, but I'm not sure I fully understood. From my point of view it's a no brainer and technically speaking, although I have to admit I don't know anything about it, gaussian blur seems like a quite basic function :)

DMerz III

+1 on that blur node. Would use all of the time.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on December 05, 2018, 11:52:40 PM
I asked for it already back in KS6, then again at KS7 and now I'll try again. I know they are quite hesitant on this one and I think one of the developers tried explaining me why, but I'm not sure I fully understood. From my point of view it's a no brainer and technically speaking, although I have to admit I don't know anything about it, gaussian blur seems like a quite basic function :)

I realized this perhaps sounded a bit harsh. Not the intend. Just want to add that I really love the KS8 update (have already been using displacement mapping and image styles to improve both quality and workflow in a couple of client projects), and these things mentioned here, would just make things even better!

Cheers,

Esben Oxholm

Wish #6
A way to tell KeyShot (or automatically detect) that the displacement used in the scene is static and doesn't need to be recalculated for each frame when outputting an animation.

/Edit: Alternatively a way to bake/freeze the displacement into the geometry directly inside the scene, without the need for exporting the displaced parts and importing them it back into the scene.