Interior Rendering help

Started by JoshASharp, November 28, 2018, 06:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Ok, took a crack at it. I'm not an interior guy so the lighting needs work. What I've learned in the last 2 years on this forum doing product and environment scenes, is detail. I added some stuff from grabcad, a great resource for just cruft that is needed to busy up a scene and give it more life. Most of the materials didn't come in right, not sure why so I slapped some different ones on.  If anything it gives an idea of direction, which is what I usually needed, just a nudge to move in one way or another with a scene. Hope it helps!

Here is the link to the file on my onedrive

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgcdhMAqF6Q3gc1aFRbbiIq-nWQ5Cg

JoshASharp

I was super excited to see the results you came out with and it looks way better than mine, so I take it you used a reference shot and got some ideas from that? I'll open up the file tomorrow and see what sort of lighting you used, really appreciate a pro taking a look at it, really creative and cool - I've got a lot to learn!

Speedster

Josh, you are so close, so stick with it!

I've done many jobs like this for manufacturers, ad agencies and marketing agencies.  There's a few basic rules to follow.

1)   Focus almost exclusively on the product, with just enough environment to place it in context.  Matt's suggestion is an excellent example.

2)   Keep the image "clean".  That is, don't confuse it with anything that is not necessary to carry the marketing message.

3)   Be very careful of the flooring material.  Yours is a bit busy to my eye.

4)   It looks like you are standing on a ladder shooting down.  Try a camera that's at eye-level.  Or go "retro", and pretend the camera is a twin-lens reflex held at waist level!

5)   Try adding in physical lights, like IES.  Or, if you are on KS8, try some spotlights.  Tweak the heck out of parameters and location/pointing.  They will add a much needed set of light and shadow to "pop" your tables.

Now...  What the heck are the black things on the wall?  They draw my eye away from the tables, and are frankly strange.  Are they acoustical panels?  If so, is that the product you are selling?   Maybe a simple abstract piece like Matt shows?  Or perhaps make each a part of a set of four images, like a divided landscape or abstracts?  Or simply one panel with an image?  Or even a window, but that takes more modeling on your part.

Above all, and I know you have not, but DO NOT use Depth of Field!  Clients hate DoF unless it's called for in the storyboard.

Keep us posted!  Tables are a GREAT idea!

Bill G

JoshASharp

Thanks a lot speedster for the feedback! really appreciate those thinking points because whilst i can model pretty well and get some average renders, I do struggle with composition and that comes as a result from the answers to those questions, thanks a bunch.

I might put some more renders in here that I have done for critique!

Oh by the way @mattjgerard, I couldn't open you ksp as im still working in 6.2 (killer I know, I'm not sure why work haven't updated?)

mattjgerard

Here's a ks6 version, its a zipped file not a packaged file, so not sure all the textures will relink.

Some great advice from people on here, take what you like from each and make it your own. You will learn there is not one right way to do an image like this. When setting up a scene I will often end up with a dozen cameras showing different angles, and one will just pop out at me when I'm getting close to being done that starts to tell the story better than the others. Post back when you are done!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgcdhMAqF6Q3gc1bRBdPR0dU0vuwJQ

JoshASharp

Hey all,

Sorry for delay on getting back to you, I've had another shot at the scene and took ur guys help in and it definitely helped, still not that happy with it though, but it's decent enough for now.

Black squares on the walls are computer moniters btw haah!