Render at one size or multiple?

Started by MaryB1986, December 29, 2018, 04:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryB1986

Hello everybody. This is my first post, so please humour my newbie question!

I've been selling my art made entirely in Photoshop for some years now, but I've recently started to use Keyshot to render some of my 3D work which will be offered in several different printed sizes.

My question is; should I render the same scene in the different print sizes that I offer, or should I just render the largest version and then just resize the image in Photoshop when people order smaller versions. Even though there are different sizes, they are all the same aspect ratio (give or take a centimetre!).

For example, if I render a 20x16" image and a customer wants a 12x10", will there be any noticeable difference if I resize the 20x16" to 12x10" or am I better off rendering at the specific print size required?

Thanks, M.

contrai

Try to hire a freelancer to write a small Python code for your rendering

theAVator

Just my opinion... someone may have something more scientific to refute it, but I would think if you're using the same resolution (say 300ppi) that it's a horse apiece - you could go either route and be happy with the output. If you were reducing resolution, then I would think Photoshop would be the better route.

For me personally, depending on how long it takes to render, I would rather output once and run a script in PS to resize than have to wait double/triple/quadruple the time waiting for extra renders of the same thing.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: theAVator on December 31, 2018, 07:47:30 AM
Just my opinion... someone may have something more scientific to refute it, but I would think if you're using the same resolution (say 300ppi) that it's a horse apiece - you could go either route and be happy with the output. If you were reducing resolution, then I would think Photoshop would be the better route.

For me personally, depending on how long it takes to render, I would rather output once and run a script in PS to resize than have to wait double/triple/quadruple the time waiting for extra renders of the same thing.

theAVator has my vote...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Speedster

I do exactly the same thing.  I offer my prints in 2 to 3 sizes, but mostly now printed on my Epson P800 printer using 13 x 19 MOAB Museum Luster.

So I render at the largest size, usually suitable for 17 x 22 media, then just resize in Photoshop to suit.

I try to use an aspect ratio that allows for a standard frame or matte size.

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Just chiming in here:
I believe rendering out the largest size and downsizing to the smaller version using Photoshop will be the most efficient use of time and cpu.

Please share a link to your creations if possible. Would love to have a look :)