Main Menu

Selection outlines

Started by Eric Summers, November 28, 2018, 01:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Summers

Just wondering if anyone else has issues with selection outlines not actually outlining the selected part. I was messing around with scattering medium applied to a sphere and when I picked the sphere in the scene tree I noticed the outline was not correct. In this screen grab the sphere that is selected is supposed to be the orange inner sphere.

I'm running 8.1.61.

mattjgerard

Yep, same here. Only once in a while, and usually with huge scenes where I'm trying to move faster than KS wants me to. My machine is starting to show its age, so I can't push it as fast as I want to.

Have you tried disabling or enabling the Use CPU for Object Outlines option in the preferences?

Eric Summers

Glad to know it isn't just me ;D
I did try disabling Use CPU, but when I do that I don't get any outlines. The strange thing is this isn't a very big scene; it just has three spheres.

mattjgerard

Whats your scale of the objects? Does it fix it if you create a new camera and use that? Just trying to remember what fixed it for me. I do recall it was a project specific problem.

You should still get outlines, it will just be the GPU that does them if I'm not mistaken. Oddly, the thickness of the outline changes when switching back and forth. CPU yields thinner outlines than with it off.

Eric Summers

The scene is unitless. I just added the spheres with 'Add Geometry'. Adding a new camera doesn't change it.

However, I'm beginning to suspect this might have something to do with my remote desktop. I just opened the same scene on my local machine and the selection outlines are showing up in the correct positions. Even in KS 7 when I would work from the remote desktop, I never saw the material ball if I did a drag and drop of a material onto a part in my scene. So that makes me wonder if something isn't set up correctly somewhere.

I've been having other issues with KS 8 and the remote desktop too like it not keeping my specified folder paths, license manager oddities and having my recent scenes disappearing.  :o

Sounds like I might need to try a fresh install...