RELINK MISSING TEXTURES - Keyshot Activity Log ---

Started by charliehumblethomas, November 23, 2018, 04:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliehumblethomas

After a few years of using the fantastic Keyshot, there is one scenario which is a nightmare.
When you have moved texture files around and not contained them in a package.

The screenshot below shows the errors that you get when textures have been moved and can't be found.
It's great that they can tell me what texture is missing, and the name of the file, but this means to relink the missing file, you must access each individual material and relink files one by one.
With 35 lost links this is a real pain!

It would be fantastic if through the error menu there was an option to resolve errors.  For example, listing all lost textures in a list for each material, then one by one you could relink the files.
If anyone's used Indesign, they offer this for relinking pictures, but then better, have a tick box which allows you to 'relink any other files found in the same folder' too. (!)

How exciting.

Anyway, it would be a great functional feature for people who forget to package.  In the mean time, back to clicking for me.

Thanks!

PerFotoVDB

Same thoughts here.
We even have more materials and then you go crazy.

So, +1!!

designgestalt

For our clients, we create a lot of specific materials and it makes the most sense to store them with the dedicated project folder!
only that way, we can guarantee, that all our employees will not mix up materials of differenet years of the collection.
Unfortunately we have to do re-arranging files every once in a while as well, as we store old projects after a while on a special server.
once this is done, it is a pain in... to re-link all missing files, in case we need to go back to an old file for whatever reason.
happens seldom, but it happens ...
I am talking about re-linking several hunderd materials ! although they are all in the same folder!
the only way we found so far, is to add the link in the preferences under the texture folder.
that works, but is not very elegant and makes the link folder explode over the years !
so I would HIGHLY appreciate a solution like Adobe is providing !!

cheers
designgestalt

Eugen Fetsch

PeterSwift

+1
A lot of small Features like this that keyshot need to focus on. Oh I love some of the new feaures thats for sure but I would love so much if they focus on this "quality of life" feature before adding new ones in the coming year or two.

Like i mentioned before. Presets  for output, so you can simple toggle between a test render and the final render in PSD, with 5 passes. and so on.

Backup feature, so if Keyshot descides to crash, it has a adobe style backup, cached.

Making aimations more stable and controllable.
Making lightning more easy to use and controll. "image styles " is a big bonus here. so +1 to that.
Making studios more reliable so they dont forget multimaterials if I change the materials and so on.
Change order on stuff in general in lists.

stuff like this.

theAVator

+1 on the relinking issue as well!
Adobe is a great example, but even in their suite I wish it were more consistent.

I think the one problem I have run into is when importing from CREO with the plugin, I think it brings over some of the Creo textures/default materials. Then when CREO is updated, those locations change or access to whatever Creo folder is restricted or something - idk. Just seems like when I have a material that is broken, it's looking for a creo texture in a creo folder - I think it's usually a bump map. 

KeyShot