Problems with CREO 4 and Plugin

Started by theAVator, December 03, 2018, 01:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

Until IT upgrades my compy to KS8, I'm stuck on KS7.3.40 (i think there's a newer release of 7, but alas if theyre going to update me it might as well just be the 8 license theyre sitting on). 

I had been working on this system with KS7 and CREO 3 for a few months and have had no issues. A couple weeks back, our company upgraded to CREO 4. Upon that upgrade my KS plugin wasn't working. Not a huge problem, I've dealt with that before. I repointed it at the protk.dat file and saved my config files, etc. still wasn't working right. So I uninstalled the plugin, went to the website, went to the previous plugin versions, got the KS7 Creo 3/4 plugin, downloaded it and installed. I went in and set up my config stuff (per the readme), restarted. This time Creo showed the KS tab and the extra features, however, when I load a model and try sending it to KS it doesn't send any model data. KS opens, opens the default scene, but doesn't actually transfer any data.

I can save the .bip file from Creo using the plugin, but not directly to KS. Any thoughts what might be wrong? Is there some sort of p[ort or something that IT may have closed down or setting that may affect transferring data from Creo to KS??

I'm hoping I get upgraded to KS8 over christmas, but until then I still have other work to do and the plugin makes it so much easier.

Thanks for any ideas.

Niko Planke

Hey,

I can sadly not reproduce the behavior on my end.
Using the Creo plugin for KeyShot 7 v 1.1 and KeyShot 7.3.40.

To exactly figure out what goes wrong and at what point it fails please try the following:
Start a KeyShot instance manually and click Render or update
Try to use Manual update.
- Below the update icon you should see a little arrow to change the update mode.
Try to model a simple cube and check if that can be transferred.

During my testing i noticed that Creo 4 has a tendency to position dialogs oddly, please check if you have a dialog window hidden behind the Creo Window.

It is also important that the firewall is not blocking the communication on the livelinking ports (default: 3141-3151)

Other things that may be important:
Is KeyShot installed as "just for me" or "for everyone"
Is is possible that the IT team made other changes when upgrading from Creo 3 to Creo 4?

theAVator

*Update*

So I finally got Keyshot 8. I installed the creo plugin for 8 (after  uninstalling the plugin for 7), and once again Creo would open keyshot, but not transfer any geometry. I uninstalled the plugin, downloaded the newest version (3.0.1.1), installed it, setup the protkdat file like the readme explains - still wouldn't transfer.

Went into my Keyshot preferences and just for **its and giggles enabled the Live Linking setting. Lo and behold, the plugin started working and transferring geometry. While I can see how this might make sense, though I don't actually use the Update functionality that Live Linking provides, this isn't intuitive that this needs to be enabled for the plugins to actually work.

At the very minimum this should be added as a step to the manual under the plugin instructions, but should maybe even have an alternative name/description in settings to make it more obvious. 

Long story short, I guess its fixed

INNEO_MWo

To reproduce the issue you need to use the KeyShot 8 plugin for any Creo version but install KeyShot 8 first and then KeyShot 7. The plugin looks for the current version that is defined in the registry.
Re-installing KeyShot 8 solve this or changing the registry entry.

Hope that brings some clarity.

Cheers
Marco

Bruno F

Since there have been no replies or updates to this post for more than two weeks, it's been locked.
You may open a new post for additional assistance.

Post closed by Luxion Support Team