Main Menu

Label placement

Started by mattjgerard, December 04, 2018, 08:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

When using the "Position Texture" Mode of moving a texture or mainly a label around, the way it works now is when you click on an object the label is centered to where you click then you can drag it around. Would be nice if there was a way where the label wouldn't snap and center itself to where I click.

Often times I just want to make a small adjustment, and now I have no idea where the center of the object is, so it will always jump around when really I just want to grab it and slide it one way or another just a skosh. I know I can type in numbers, but that's a crap shoot sometimes anyway.

If there was a checkbox that said "Center label/texture on mouse position click" I would turn that off. Just want to grab the label no matter where coordinate-wise I do on the label and drag it around. I can see the benefit of the way it works now, for the first initial placement of the label to get it into the general area. Maybe a right click or a modifier key+click would do that operation for the first placement, then the functionality could revert to just using the mouse pointer as a "grab hand" to just grab the label/texture and move it around regardless of where you grab it.

Thanks for the awesome software that is pretty amazing already!

KeyShot

Very good point. We will add that to the list. Thanks for the suggestion (and praise :-)

bharris

To make the label placement even more robust, perhaps it could be work with modifiers too:

Default is as it currently is with the center snapping to where you click, moving your mouse moves the label in any way on the surface.
CTRL makes it Matt's suggestion to click anywhere and shift the label as you drag along the surface
SHIFT locks the movement to an main axis (similar to holding shift in most drawing/drafting programs)
ALT slows down the moving to 1/4 distance of the mouse (for nudging a label exactly perfect)

Then you could mix and match the modifiers to be able to be very granular with placing the label without needed to always find the move tool. Sometimes I'm zoomed in past where I can see it and this would resolve that nicely.

mattjgerard

Quote from: bharris on December 04, 2018, 11:32:06 AM
To make the label placement even more robust, perhaps it could be work with modifiers too:

Default is as it currently is with the center snapping to where you click, moving your mouse moves the label in any way on the surface.
CTRL makes it Matt's suggestion to click anywhere and shift the label as you drag along the surface
SHIFT locks the movement to an main axis (similar to holding shift in most drawing/drafting programs)
ALT slows down the moving to 1/4 distance of the mouse (for nudging a label exactly perfect)

Then you could mix and match the modifiers to be able to be very granular with placing the label without needed to always find the move tool. Sometimes I'm zoomed in past where I can see it and this would resolve that nicely.

I like where this is going.