PAUSED Real Time Window

Started by germannick, March 12, 2018, 12:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germannick

I like to avoid clicking as much as possible in my workflow and there are two thinks that I find extremely unnecessary in Keyshot.
Whenever a rendering is started, the Real Time Window is PAUSED, blocking all other actions. Is there a hidden trick to prevent the PAUSING by default?
Also, when rendering is done, the render window should close automatically. Reason why? When the rendering is done and available for post production, some layers (e.g. AO layer image) cannot be opened until the render window is closed.

Robb63

There is a checkbox in preferences to stop KS from pausing automatically when you hit "Render". Not sure about your other question

germannick

This option just pauses KeyShot when a job is sent to the network rendering   :o

mattjgerard

You need to use "Background Rendering" That will free keyshot to be used while another instance of the render engine cranks away in the background. You will have to manage the CPU though, I usually set KS to use 22 of my 24 cores, that leaves some CPU space to work on the next scene, do some paperwork, or jump to photoshop or another app. You can choose to send to Background in the render settings dialog box under the OPTIONS tab.

The second question sounds like a bug.

germannick

Even with the background render option, the PAUSE is automatically activated  :-\ >:(

mattjgerard

Quote from: germannick on March 12, 2018, 11:32:57 PM
Even with the background render option, the PAUSE is automatically activated  :-\ >:(

Yep, you are correct, looks like you can only disable the pause function for renders sent to the network.

I think that they assume that you want the most horsepower in the computer to go towards rendering, so it pauses the real time view to allow the system to shovel the job off to the background renderer. Might not always be the case, as we see here.

werk-m

Hi there

I had the same issue. Just in case you still want to know how to disable the "automatic render pause" here it is:
- Start you rendering as a background render.
- The studio will automatically be paused.
- Go to the icon menu bar (just below the menu) and hit the "pause" button to deselect the pause command.
You should be able to continue working, while the rendering is being processed in the background.
Good luck.

germannick

Quote from: werk-m on August 23, 2018, 03:57:11 AM
Hi there

I had the same issue. Just in case you still want to know how to disable the "automatic render pause" here it is:
- Go to the icon menu bar (just below the menu) and hit the "pause" button to deselect the pause command.
You should be able to continue working, while the rendering is being processed in the background.
Good luck.

I am aware of  this option. I am just click-lazy and like to avoid anything unecessary :-)

mattjgerard

Quote from: germannick on August 24, 2018, 01:47:56 AM
Quote from: werk-m on August 23, 2018, 03:57:11 AM
Hi there

Good luck.

I am aware of  this option. I am just click-lazy and like to avoid anything unecessary :-)

No no no. You are EFFICIENT. You strive for the minimization of mouse movements and click because it allows you to use your time better. I'm the same way. Keyboard shortcuts for everything, and extraneous mouseclicks are unacceptable.

Efficiency. That's what I'm calling it :)

germannick

Hi mattjgerard ,

I am glad I am not the only one on this planet.

germannick

Hi mattjgerard,

do you know if there will be solution to this issue, is Luxion working on something? I mean a general option "pause kesyshot whensending Jobs to Network Rendering" is already there, so why not extend this to Background Rendering as well?

Niko Planke

I will check with the Team to hear about the options.
In general i would not suggest to use KeyShot while a background rendering is running on all Cores since you will likely experience a noticeable performance hit regarding both render time and realtime view performance.
May i ask what the exact use case it for the realtime view not being Paused? There may be an other more efficient method for your desired workflow.

Regarding your other question, the reason for the render window not closing as the rendering is done is that you can apply image effects inside the render output window.
This can be done via the "image Style" icon next to the "Save" Icon inside the Output window.
So you have the option to save the image with Different image styles applied and adjust your image styles to the Final Rendering without having to rerender.

germannick

hi Niko,
sorry for getting back to you so late. I overlooked your message somehow.
My reason for not pausing: I work a lot on just mass producing, "simple" product images for the web and print. Over the last few years I have refined my system, backgrounds, material etc. So it became a mindless Plug `n Play method. After applying materials and the environment, I save my file and send it to the rendender. Now I always have UNPAUSE Keyshot before I can open a new file or save as my file for a similar product. In other words the pause function is just an unnecessary function for me. I understand that some people benefit from it, but for me it is a pain. Therefore I suggest to offer a pause option in the preferences.
For your second question: I do most of my editing in Photoshop via batch processes when 30+ products are rendered. The provided "Image style" option is cool, but does not provide any benefits for my process and work flow. It is just another unnecessary click to close the window.
I need to work fast and effectively. From a UI structure point of view, KS still has a long way to go.