Rounded edges issue with keyshot 8 / rhino 6

Started by dr_tilo, December 08, 2018, 09:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_tilo

Hi,
I have an issue with rounded edges which I tried to break down with the attached rhino and keyshot files as well as a screenshot. Rounded edges does not work with all my rhino 6 models. My workflow: I open Keyshot then import the Rhino 6 file. Note: I currently do not want to use live linking due to the updating issue already reported by Magicmez.
During my journey trying to isolate my issue I found that rounded edges works well with rhino geometry so called "extrusions". So I built two boxes and exploded one of them resulting in two geometries, one extrusion and one polysurface. Rounded edges works with the extrusion (the box in the background of the screenshot) and does not work with the polysurface (depicted in the foreground).

Thanks in advance for yout help:)

Windows 10
Rhino Version 6 SR10 (6.10.18311.20531, 07.11.2018)
Keyshot 8.1.61
KS8 Rhino plugin 1.0

designgestalt

hello dr_tilo,
I do not work with Rhino, so my comments might be wrong for your cad package, but for all I know, all of the surface modelers like Alias, Rhino etc. work very poorly with the rounded edges tool in keyshot. also you example of the "rounded" box shows that:
yeah, it did something to the geometry, but does it really look like a rounded edge ? Nahh!!!
I found the results are better, when you export geometry from solid modelers like Fusion 360, Solidworks etc.
Sure this has to do with the export/import options, as keyshot does seem to have problems to understand if your design intention was a real body (i.e. a cube) or just a set of surfaces. I spent a lot of time on this issue already and finally gave up.
it seems a solid modeler converts that data better. even though transporting the data from alias to Fusion to Keyshot seems to help, but is not very elegant.
nonetheless, the rounded corner tool only works to a certain degree, which means, if you want to break an edge to catch some light, it is fine. If you want a real radius on a part, I would recommend modeling it. (everything the goes beyond 0,2mm I rather model in my CAD packages).
hope that helps....
cheers
designgestalt

GL

I have the same issue.  I am using Mac Rhino 5 & Keyshot 8.

Keyshot 7 worked fine.

germannick

I totally agree with designgestalt .
Everything that can be modeled, should be modeled in the original geometry. Rounded edges in KS only go that far. Anything that is more than a broken edge (0.1-to max. 0.3) should be done before imported into KS