Main Menu

Fossil Watch

Started by Ananth Narayan, December 09, 2018, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ananth Narayan

Watch Model from https://grabcad.com/library/wrist-watch-fossil-nate-jr1424-1, rendered with keyshot 8. Please tell me flaws on images

Elaheh Elmy

Greate design, the wood material is not appropriate thogh, you should make the texture smaller

Ananth Narayan

Now changed texture of wood, how is it?

RRIS

The wood is a texture from floor boards.. I think you try to use a single piece of wood (for example the Dark_wood texture that comes with Keyshot) and try to get the scale of that texture correct.

Also, for a watch render, take a good look at the reflections that you see in real photos. Your metal is now mostly light-gray, because your environment is probably mostly light-gray. Use an environment with a black background and only a few bright panels (for example "3 Panels Straight 4K").

A general tip, try to really look at photos to see what they did with lighting and materials.. then try to copy that. I'm talking studio environment, material textures scales, fillets (your model is very sharp/angular.. even cnc'd models usually have small fillets to make them less sharp), etc..

Btw, I think the model of your watch is broken, I can see a pink surface through the crown bezel.. it looks like your model is open and not closed.
Try a different model, for example a free model from CGTrader: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models?keywords=watch

A watch is a great model to train with btw, so keep going!

Ananth Narayan

Wow, there will be truly soooo much to learn from you. Thanks for advice and tips. Also will you guide for perfect renders.

JimmyToTheBe

It's good to see a totally new member to the forum. I recommend looking at some basic tutorials on youtube for keyshot and reading through some of the quick tips on the website. Learn to walk before you can run. And just keep practising.  :)

mattjgerard

Found the watch on grabcad and looks like it was done by our very own Magnus. I was questioning the viability of the model, but after finding that out, its a great model to practice on. Not sure why the images you created have so many holes in it, but looks like the original model doesn't have them.

This work is part materials and part lighting, and its a fine balance between the two. The nice thing about Keyshot is that the materials in the library should be for the most part drag and drop and should work most of the time, so if you are using prest materials next is to focus on the lighting. As others have said before, use reference images and really study which direction the light is coming from, and some knowledge of product photography and lighting is needed to achieve that. You can keep dropping HDRI's on it and rotating until you get something that works, but try building an HDRI from scratch and you will really start to understand how the HDRI affects your image.

Keep going, its a good solid start.

Ananth Narayan

Thanks everybody for such good advices and ideas. Small request, make sure to find mistakes on my upcoming renders.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hey won't you look at that old model! Hah, cool to see it still being used. I don't have nothing else to bring to the table though, as most people have covered it already. Just felt necessary to chime in here :)