Trying to accurately simulate LED lighting and a lense

Started by cash68, December 13, 2018, 02:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiarash.tamizkar

what a useful discussion here... thanks everyone i enjoyed a lot

TGS808

Quote from: mattjgerard on December 14, 2018, 10:08:47 AM
Hahaha, that's funny, I was just looking for that post, and you beat me to it. That was one b#$tch of a project, and Eric really helped me out. Pretty much the rest of my work has been based on this way of working, so its pretty solid. I'm creating a folder of links to these gems of posts so I can go back and reference them.

Thanks for digging that up David, hope this helps the OP.

It was actually me who dug it up.  ;) I bookmarked that one right after Eric posted his method as it was clearly a keeper. I knew I wasn't going to want to go digging for it in the future.  :D

TGS808

Quote from: cash68 on December 14, 2018, 01:00:59 PM
I tried following that link, the issue is a lot of those settings are no longer available in Keyshot 8.  There is not even a point light diffuse material available anymore.

It's still there. They just call it "Point Light" now but it's the exact same thing that was called "Point Light Diffuse" in KS7. I believe you'll find all the other settings Eric refers too are available in KS8 as well.

TGS808

I made an effort to match your reference photo. I started with Eric's method and made some modifications to it to better replicate the look you're going for. I think the LEDs and hot spots here look pretty close to what was in your reference photo. If you think this will work, you can have the KSP if you want it. Let me know.

bdesign

Quote from: TGS808 on December 16, 2018, 05:03:58 PM
I made and effort to match your reference photo. I started with Eric's method and made some modifications to it to better replicate the look you're going for. I think the LEDs and hot spots here look pretty close to what was in your reference photo. If you think this will work, you can have the KSP if you want it. Let me know.

I think it's awesome...and thank you kindly for the reference(s)...

Cheers,
Eric

TGS808

Quote from: bdesign on December 16, 2018, 05:24:44 PM

Cheers,
Eric

Thanks Eric! That means a lot coming from you. Now I know how Harry Potter feels when Dumbledore says he's done a good job!  :D

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: TGS808 on December 16, 2018, 09:42:10 PM
Quote from: bdesign on December 16, 2018, 05:24:44 PM

Cheers,
Eric

Thanks Eric! That means a lot coming from you. Now I know how Harry Potter feels when Dumbledore says he's done a good job!  :D

That made my day.

Thank you both!

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

Well done TGS808, I have something similar looking going right now on this, so you beat me to it :) Looks great, that's the look that I was aiming for. Yours has a better balance of the hot spot and glow, mine is still a bit too blown out in the middle.

Dang I love this community.

cash68

Wow, thanks for all the responses.   I'm still screwing with my file but if you guys could post yours, I'd love to dig into the settings and see how you're achieving this.

TGS808

Quote from: cash68 on December 17, 2018, 06:47:11 AM
Wow, thanks for all the responses.   I'm still screwing with my file but if you guys could post yours, I'd love to dig into the settings and see how you're achieving this.

My KSP is attached.

DMerz III

Quote from: mattjgerard on December 14, 2018, 10:08:47 AM
Thanks for digging that up David, hope this helps the OP.

Haha, I know I'm late on this response, but all of the credit goes to TGS808 for originally posting it earlier in the thread. (And of course, Eric, for developing that method to begin with).

BTW, that attempt from TGS808 looks great, well done. Hopefully OP will see the light at the end of the tunnel  ;)

TGS808

Quote from: DMerz III on December 17, 2018, 09:18:38 AM
BTW, that attempt from TGS808 looks great, well done. Hopefully OP will see the light at the end of the tunnel  ;)

Thank you David, I really appreciate that!  :D I do hope it helps the OP.

cash68

Guys, I just want to say thanks for posting the KS file, it's helped a ton.  I'm getting it very close to reality, and now I'm ideating light pipe ideas on how to make the illumination more even.

I do have a question on texture or even modeling this.  So I am forced to use Alias.  I export the part as a 'wire' file without stitching it, that way I can 'colorize' the top side of the lenses.  When I import, this allows me to add texture to the top of these lenses, while keeping the rest of the material smooth/glossy.  However, the part is no longer 'solid', correct?  I can hide the top surface of the lense, because the part is now just a bunch of surfaces.  What file format could I use so that keyshot could treat the part as one material, but allow me to put different texture on different parts?

mattjgerard

Quote from: cash68 on January 02, 2019, 02:23:03 PM
What file format could I use so that keyshot could treat the part as one material, but allow me to put different texture on different parts?

Not knowing Alias at all, you can certianly just run the gamut of tests on all the possible export options, starting with the obvious ones, obj, FBX, stl, stp, etc, and see if it gets you where you need to be. Keep in mind that KS has a Geometry Editor that will allow you to split apart surfaces and/or objects. So, if for example  you are able to get the lens to import as one piece, but want to split the top surface from the back, you can do that operation inside keyshot easily. This is good for the times when you need to do this to just one or two objects. I deal with CAD files mostly and I use this quite a bit, where the plastic injection is all made from one cad piece but the actial mold has different textures that is imparts to a single piece. I get the whole mold cad, then I split off the smooth faces for labels, and leave the textured pieces as one piece.

Just an option to keep in mind,. Glad to hear you are making progress! We love to hear how troublesome projects progress!