Master Critical Error - uploading job deleted

Started by CHRISmedical, December 18, 2018, 04:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHRISmedical

Our network rendering service is currently only accepting 4 jobs to the queue. Any attempt to add more jobs to the queue results in a 'Master Critical Error' while 'sending' the job and requests for the Job ## to be deleted.

Obviously, this is not ideal as I would like to place 10-20+ jobs in the queue to render overnight. The jobs that are rendering, are processing reasonably well.

Any advice or insight into this issue would be much appreciated.

DMerz III

I have not seen that error in particular, but I would first look at the space available on your master.
When packing a job to send to the queue, it is saving a mini temporary KSP as an individual job FOR EACH SHOT.

If you are using lots of heavy textures and have a scene with a high poly count, each of those jobs could take up quite a bit of space to send to your master. If you run out of space on that master hard-drive, you'll get errors.

So...check there first, are you running out of space on that master's HDD/SSD?

EDIT; also as a follow up. Make sure you are deleting all your old jobs once they're completed as this will also eat up hard-drive space.
Assuming they've already been downloaded on your local machine of course.

mattjgerard

Yes, I can confirm this issue as well. I had a HUGE scene file with hundreds of simple brackets that all used similar materials/camera angles/environments, so make studios of them and use the render queue, right? Well, the geometry for these things was pretty intense, lots of curved surfaces and high poly counts so the bip file was around 4 gigs. I went to batch about 100 at a time, and yeah, it took forever because KS was saving a copy of that bip FOR EACH STUDIO. Our brand new top of the line HP Z8 $9000 network renderer was dropping to it knees because of all the money they spent on it, they dropped in a cheapo 128gb SSD.

They popped in a 1tb m2 drive and moved the OS and everything to that and I don't get errors anymore. Well, that and I don't create 4gb bip files with hundreds of studios in it either :)

DMerz III

Quote from: mattjgerard on December 19, 2018, 07:29:30 AM
Our brand new top of the line HP Z8 $9000 network renderer was dropping to it knees because of all the money they spent on it, they dropped in a cheapo 128gb SSD.

HAHA, yes... we had a similar situation... thousands of dollars in CPU and memory and cooling systems, xeon motherboard, and then 128GB HDD...wtf?

Boxx had the nerve to charge us $900 for a 1TB SSD, which failed after 7 months, and they didn't honor our warranty. Customer support stalled on emails back and forth for 3 months until a year passed, and then claimed we were outside of the warranty. We will not be using Boxx again for hardware.

Moral of the story...make sure your master has lots of SPACE! We don't use the boxx machine as a master any longer, we run our master on an older mac mini we had laying around and use 0% of its cores as slaves, but it has a massive SDD in it. Found using the master as a master only, and never slaving the cores has worked best for us.