Disappearing parts after splitting parts using Edit Geometry

Started by monson67, December 24, 2018, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monson67

This has happened in a number of different scenes/files since upgrading to KeyShot 8. After using Edit Geometry to split Object Surfaces or Separate Objects, the resulting objects remain intact and everything behaves as expected, but once the scene is saved, closed and reopened, those edited objects are gone. I'm not sure if it's just from splitting the objects, or if it's because the objects are then moved to a different group within the scene's parts list. Has anyone else experienced this?

KeyShot

We have not heard of this issue before. Would you be able to share your files with us at support@luxion.com?

Optimusglen

I also have this problem occasionally, absolutely infuriating when you have hours into a project and this happens. :[

When the edited parts are gone they are just gone, no trace of them. For me it has happened most often when splitting a part and then moving one of the split pieces to a new group.

monson67

I have a workaround I've been using. It adds annoying additional steps, but it seems to ensure that everything remains intact.

Once you split your objects, hide all the parts in the scene except for the newly-split objects. Then Export them as OBJ or FBX (File > Export > Export as OBJ on a Mac). Delete those parts from your scene, and then import them back in from the OBJ or FBX file you just exported. Save, quit, then reopen the scene to double-check everything is there. If it hasn't disappeared by this point, you should be good to go.

It's really annoying having to do this, but it hasn't failed me yet. Let me know if this works for you.

Ian Reymond

Hello monson67

Thank you for your post.
In order to help figure out this issue, please send us the following informaiton:

• The exact KeyShot version you are using (ie: 8.2.80)
  • The computer make and specifications.
    ie: Operating System, GPU, CPU, etc...
  • CAD Software and version or year
  • Step by step instructions on how to replicate the issue

Would you also be able to send us your scene as a ksp file. 

To save  a ksp file:

• Open your scene
  • Go to *File > Save Package*
  • Name your file

You may send it securely via our WeTransfer at https://keyshot.wetransfer.com/

Please Make sure to include your Post ID: "Disappearing parts after splitting parts using Edit Geometry"

This will allow us to track your files in our system.

Quote from: monson67 on December 24, 2018, 09:57:24 AM
This has happened in a number of different scenes/files since upgrading to KeyShot 8. After using Edit Geometry to split Object Surfaces or Separate Objects, the resulting objects remain intact and everything behaves as expected, but once the scene is saved, closed and reopened, those edited objects are gone. I'm not sure if it's just from splitting the objects, or if it's because the objects are then moved to a different group within the scene's parts list. Has anyone else experienced this?

monson67

KeyShot 8.2.80
iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, late 2015)
MacOS 10.14.3
4 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB GPU
64 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM

Regarding the CAD software, if I'm modeling the object myself, I have the object split into the parts I need before I ever import into KeyShot. When I model, I use Rhino 3D on Windows. But it's not too often that I'm doing the modeling. Typically, I work from models purchased or downloaded from other sources such as TurboSquid, so the original CAD software varies. It's with these models that I need to split parts using the Geometry Editor. From what I have noticed while working with Rhino, when objects in 3D models all have the same name (or more commonly, no name at all) and are exported as an OBJ, KeyShot will automatically combine all of those separate-but-similarly-named objects into a single part. This is the reason why I have to split objects so often in KeyShot.

I'm fairly certain now that the key action that causes this to happen is reorganizing the parts list in the scene window - specifically, moving the split objects out of the group in which they are automatically placed once the Apply button in the Geometry Editor is clicked. I've heard it before... reorganizing the parts list is not standard practice... I know. But I have over a decade of experience working with Photoshop for a living before learning 3D modeling and KeyShot, and much like layers in the layers palette of Photoshop, it is absolutely vital for my sanity to have objects in the parts list of KeyShot's Scene window organized the way I need them.

As for replicating the issue: Depending on how the model was designed/built, I will either Split Object Surfaces or Split Separate Objects. Once I split the objects and click Apply, everything appears as it should. I can even apply materials to the objects that I just split, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. But if I reorganize those objects in my parts list (which I am going to do, regardless of what anyone tells me), then save the KeyShot file, close it, and reopen it, the parts that I did not split still remain, but the parts that I did split are gone, nowhere to be found.

My uneducated guess is that the group that KeyShot automatically places split parts into has an identifier associated with it. Once the now-split parts are moved out of that group, the split parts lose that identifier and KeyShot forgets they exist.

I uploaded 3 different files to WeTransfer. The first is the unedited object. The second is the object split into separate parts, but not moved out of the group KeyShot placed them in. The third is basically an empty file because I split the object, reorganized them in the parts list and saved the file - now they're gone.

Note: I uploaded .bip files instead of .ksp files, as I could not replicate the issue when saving as KSP. It doesn't seem that anything included in .ksp files but not included in .bip files has any effect on the outcome anyhow.

Ian Reymond

monson67,

Thank you for your very detailed answer. However, we did not get your files. I realize now that I forgot to ask you to send the WeTransfer link to support@luxion.com with the same information that I asked of in the last post.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote from: monson67 on March 26, 2019, 07:12:02 AM
KeyShot 8.2.80
iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, late 2015)
MacOS 10.14.3
4 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB GPU
64 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM

Regarding the CAD software, if I'm modeling the object myself, I have the object split into the parts I need before I ever import into KeyShot. When I model, I use Rhino 3D on Windows. But it's not too often that I'm doing the modeling. Typically, I work from models purchased or downloaded from other sources such as TurboSquid, so the original CAD software varies. It's with these models that I need to split parts using the Geometry Editor. From what I have noticed while working with Rhino, when objects in 3D models all have the same name (or more commonly, no name at all) and are exported as an OBJ, KeyShot will automatically combine all of those separate-but-similarly-named objects into a single part. This is the reason why I have to split objects so often in KeyShot.

I'm fairly certain now that the key action that causes this to happen is reorganizing the parts list in the scene window - specifically, moving the split objects out of the group in which they are automatically placed once the Apply button in the Geometry Editor is clicked. I've heard it before... reorganizing the parts list is not standard practice... I know. But I have over a decade of experience working with Photoshop for a living before learning 3D modeling and KeyShot, and much like layers in the layers palette of Photoshop, it is absolutely vital for my sanity to have objects in the parts list of KeyShot's Scene window organized the way I need them.

As for replicating the issue: Depending on how the model was designed/built, I will either Split Object Surfaces or Split Separate Objects. Once I split the objects and click Apply, everything appears as it should. I can even apply materials to the objects that I just split, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. But if I reorganize those objects in my parts list (which I am going to do, regardless of what anyone tells me), then save the KeyShot file, close it, and reopen it, the parts that I did not split still remain, but the parts that I did split are gone, nowhere to be found.

My uneducated guess is that the group that KeyShot automatically places split parts into has an identifier associated with it. Once the now-split parts are moved out of that group, the split parts lose that identifier and KeyShot forgets they exist.

I uploaded 3 different files to WeTransfer. The first is the unedited object. The second is the object split into separate parts, but not moved out of the group KeyShot placed them in. The third is basically an empty file because I split the object, reorganized them in the parts list and saved the file - now they're gone.

Note: I uploaded .bip files instead of .ksp files, as I could not replicate the issue when saving as KSP. It doesn't seem that anything included in .ksp files but not included in .bip files has any effect on the outcome anyhow.

monson67

Resent.

I realize I didn't explicitly say this in my previous post, but it isn't just with this one file that this happened. It happens with any model I import into KeyShot, regardless of filetype (OBJ, FBX, C4D, etc.), every time I split parts and reorganize.

Ian Reymond

There have been no replies to this post for more than two weeks, therefore, it has been locked.
If you still need help please open a new post.

Post closed by Luxion Support Team