wrapping labels

Started by cubicart, May 13, 2011, 04:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubicart

Hello,

I've read an earlier post on this topic, but didn't really understand the suggested work around. I want to wrap a decal around multiple planar surfaces, and have the label keep it's proper shape. The sample image shows results when box mapping, and normal projection also gives incorrect results.

The original suggestion was to use two labels. How would this work? Can anyone provide some additional information?

Thanks

guest84672

Use planar projection for each of the labels, and then line them up.

cubicart

Thanks Thomas,

Got it to work. I can see it being a bit tricky to properly align the two labels with more complex artwork. As a note to others, the two surfaces must have unique material assignments to stop the labels from extruding on the perpendicular faces.

Dwayne

guest84672

You are right - forgot about that. Looks sharp!

nmeyer

I am having similar issue.  I need a label to wrap around 4 sides of a cube. I cannot use planar maps and line the labels up because the corners are radiused and the text gets deformed. I cannot make a UV map because I am using PRO Engineer.  Box Map just repeats the label on all four surfaces.  Anyone?

m2tts

You can try extruding the shape in Pro-E with the fillets by using one spline created using the "Fit Spline" tool in sketcher. Not sure if that's what it's called exactly since it's been awhile since I've started up Pro. Using one spline should give you one surface which you can then UV map to.

nmeyer

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried this method alread too.  For some reason the UV mapping does'nt work (see pic below). I drew the desired textrue surface using a solid spline and extruded it. Then I painted the splined surface a different color in Pro and exported as an .OBJ. Am I missing something here?