Which bought 3D files would work

Started by bakutislinas, January 11, 2019, 05:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS808

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 14, 2019, 11:27:51 AM
if I remember correctly it's not all ladies in piquant clothing and aliens.

Not all... but mostly.  ;D

mattjgerard

That was the other one that I was thinking of.

But yeah, I have to be careful browsing their catalog here in the world of corporate oversight :)

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on January 14, 2019, 11:27:51 AM
Hi Bakutislinas.
I look for .fbx, .obj and .abc files - they tend to load into KeyShot properly. And then for most download I also make sure that they are UV-mapped.

If I realise after a download that the models is low poly (or not subdivided), I'm usually able to bring the model into Modo and subdivide the mesh and export it as eg. fbx.

Quote from: mattjgerard on January 11, 2019, 08:44:16 AM
I have looked in to the possibility of paying someone for a fully rigged textured properly looking human. 99% of the time I need a human figure (and that's not that often) I need a warehouse or line assembly worker that I can pose with a part in a hand or next to an assy line. I did download one that was rigged deciently, but the Uv's and wrapping were so screwed up I ended up photoshopping out seams and spending more time fixing it than it was worth. One dude with interchangeable clothing would be worht money for me.

Hi Matt. Have you had a look at https://www.daz3d.com/ - if I remember correctly it's not all ladies in piquant clothing and aliens. Worth a look at least.

CoalHedgehog

Quote from: mattjgerard on January 11, 2019, 06:33:12 AM
I have had less than good experience with purchased models. At this point, I look at the geometry and make that my baseline. Coming from a Cinema 4D background, very few models are created as compatible, so fixing Uv's and textures is just a way of life for me. Granted, I don't rely a whole lot on purchased models, but when I do I dread it because I know its going to be a hassle. 80% of the models out there seems to be from 3DSMax and rendered in Vray, then exported as a slew of different formats. And I have yet to find models that even list Keyshot as a filetype.

I have not spent a great deal of time trying to solve the problem, I do know that I bought a model set of cookies from Turbosquid, they were verified, vetted, approved, all the stamps of approval from Turbosquid, and when I opened them in Max they looked like crap. Turns out they were using a bunch of smoothing and scattering and other features in Vray that of course anyone that doesn't have Vray can't use. I requested a conversion of the model to Cinema 4D and Keyshot (since they offered it) and of course they came back looking like a pile of raisin infested dog turds.

So, sorry I can't answer your question reliably, but I will be following along to read what other smarter more informed people have to say :)

Sorry, but I proper lol'd at that.  ;D