Which bought 3D files would work

Started by bakutislinas, January 11, 2019, 05:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakutislinas

Hi guys!

Have an technical question and couldnt find enouhh info so far. Sorry if missed some topic that covers my issue.

I am wondering what do You exactly need to look for in 3D files when You buy them in sites like 3gtrader, do both geometry and textures would work?
I know about phongs in other softwares, so high poly model is a must, but what about textures? I am afraid to pay for something I couldnt use and already have some bad experienced with textures. I know that some maps called differently and should go in other nodes, but still... What do You actually need to look for?

I decided to ask here because of possible job that includes rendering of wardrobes, so looking for buying package of clothes models.

Thanks!

mattjgerard

I have had less than good experience with purchased models. At this point, I look at the geometry and make that my baseline. Coming from a Cinema 4D background, very few models are created as compatible, so fixing Uv's and textures is just a way of life for me. Granted, I don't rely a whole lot on purchased models, but when I do I dread it because I know its going to be a hassle. 80% of the models out there seems to be from 3DSMax and rendered in Vray, then exported as a slew of different formats. And I have yet to find models that even list Keyshot as a filetype.

I have not spent a great deal of time trying to solve the problem, I do know that I bought a model set of cookies from Turbosquid, they were verified, vetted, approved, all the stamps of approval from Turbosquid, and when I opened them in Max they looked like crap. Turns out they were using a bunch of smoothing and scattering and other features in Vray that of course anyone that doesn't have Vray can't use. I requested a conversion of the model to Cinema 4D and Keyshot (since they offered it) and of course they came back looking like a pile of raisin infested dog turds.

So, sorry I can't answer your question reliably, but I will be following along to read what other smarter more informed people have to say :)

bakutislinas

Sorry to hear that! Hope solution is still here. Not in one post on instagram (i.e. Esben's) I saw that models are downloaded from various sites and those were rugs, cloths, etc. I believe it is just a matter of poly count, when it comes to geometry, though I am not sure if it is possible to find high-poly models with PBR textures or something like that, so it would only require to connect nodes in a certain way, like with Poliigon textures, with UV mapping selected.

Anyone has better solution? :D

RRIS

I typically need furniture (designconnected works well) and/or human models.
I download just the OBJ/FBX files with their textures. Usually they have UV coordinates, which work in Keyshot (although they sometimes require rotating 90 degrees or mirroring).

mattjgerard

Quote from: RRIS on January 11, 2019, 07:28:12 AM
I typically need furniture (designconnected works well) and/or human models.
I download just the OBJ/FBX files with their textures. Usually they have UV coordinates, which work in Keyshot (although they sometimes require rotating 90 degrees or mirroring).

I have looked in to the possibility of paying someone for a fully rigged textured properly looking human. 99% of the time I need a human figure (and that's not that often) I need a warehouse or line assembly worker that I can pose with a part in a hand or next to an assy line. I did download one that was rigged deciently, but the Uv's and wrapping were so screwed up I ended up photoshopping out seams and spending more time fixing it than it was worth. One dude with interchangeable clothing would be worht money for me.

bakutislinas

Hm, is really better choice to use these sites rather then buy from individuals. I will test some of free models for fun, will see if they work as I expect - after all that what they suggest :)
Though wardrobe clothings there!

TGS808

I've had much success with Dosch Design. The prices are reasonable and the quality of the models is quite good. Everything comes with UV mapped textures that KeyShot will understand. If you don't like the included textures you can just make your own materials in KeyShot (which is what I did). Once the KS materials were applied (in my case, to a bunch of stage and event models) they looked top notch. Models are available in multiple formats (3DS, C4D, Lightwave, Maya, OBJ, etc...) and you're not limited to what you can download. So, if you want, you can download all the formats KeyShot will understand and try them all. I found that OBJ works fine but tried C4D too. I also got a set of water splash effects from them and that was actually available in KeyShot format!

They have a clothing set you can check out:
https://doschdesign.com/products/3d/Clothing.html

RRIS

Quote from: TGS808 on January 11, 2019, 09:54:45 AM
I've had much success with Dosch Design. The prices are reasonable and the quality of the models is quite good. Everything comes with UV mapped textures that KeyShot will understand. If you don't like the included textures you can just make your own materials in KeyShot (which is what I did). Once the KS materials were applied (in my case, to a bunch of stage and event models) they looked top notch. Models are available in multiple formats (3DS, C4D, Lightwave, Maya, OBJ, etc...) and you're not limited to what you can download. So, if you want, you can download all the formats KeyShot will understand and try them all. I found that OBJ works fine but tried C4D too. I also got a set of water splash effects from them and that was actually available in KeyShot format!

They have a clothing set you can check out:
https://doschdesign.com/products/3d/Clothing.html

Just don't get their HDRI's, they're pretty bad

bakutislinas

But what it is better to look for if searching on websites such as cgtrader?
I believe high poly (they always attach mesh image) and PBR textures (there model are signed if they are animated, rigged, has pbr materials...)?

TGS808

Quote from: bakutislinas on January 11, 2019, 10:47:04 AM
But what it is better to look for if searching on websites such as cgtrader?
I believe high poly (they always attach mesh image) and PBR textures (there model are signed if they are animated, rigged, has pbr materials...)?

I've never used cgtrader so, I couldn't say.

TGS808

Quote from: RRIS on January 11, 2019, 10:27:21 AM
Just don't get their HDRI's, they're pretty bad

I've used some (skies, studio and chrome FX) from a few years back. Never had a problem with them. They were used in software that wasn't KeyShot though. I haven't tried them in KS yet so I couldn't say how they fair there. They are older HDRI's so they may not be up to today's resolution standards. I'm sure their current ones are probably fine though.

mattjgerard

I've had mixe results with Dosch. From the stuff that we have, the models by today's standards are pretty basic and rudimentary. Good for non detail filler stuff. I bought some humans about a month back and was sorely disappointed with the quality and the mapping of the textures. They DO have keyshot models ready, at least in the pack that I got, but of course the one that I wanted to use was messed up and missing textures, so they had to take a week and fix and repackage it.

For my purposes though, having one super high quality properly mapped poseable figure would be fantastic. I have looked into Poser and the other character modeler (can't recall the name right now) but the problem is that while the models seemed rigged and good quiality ready for export, 80% of the models were half clad female warriors and such. Nothing much practical for industrial stuff. Can't have Zena Warrior Princess tagging parts on a manufacturing line, eh?

ralemalph

For human models I would suggest AXYZ: https://secure.axyz-design.com/

And for furniture I would recommend Dimensiva: https://dimensiva.com/

TGS808

Quote from: mattjgerard on January 14, 2019, 07:08:39 AM
I've had mixe results with Dosch. From the stuff that we have, the models by today's standards are pretty basic and rudimentary. Good for non detail filler stuff.

In fairness, the ones I used were for backgrounds but they held up to scrutiny if you moved closer. All of them had KS materials applied. I didn't use any of the supplied UV stuff. To buy a pack of 90+ models for $150 is not a bad deal but yeah, of course you're not going to get the super high poly stuff for that money. Since the OP was saying he just needed some clothes to place in wardrobes, their stuff would more than suffice. My personal opinion, I don't know if you need to concern yourself with high poly models and PBR textures and whether or not a model is rigged to place some shirts and skirts on hangers in a wardrobe. It sounds like he's making it more difficult than it needs to be but that may just be my lack of insight on what his final job is. I can only go by what he said here "possible job that includes rendering of wardrobes, so looking for buying package of clothes models".

Esben Oxholm

Hi Bakutislinas.
I look for .fbx, .obj and .abc files - they tend to load into KeyShot properly. And then for most download I also make sure that they are UV-mapped.

If I realise after a download that the models is low poly (or not subdivided), I'm usually able to bring the model into Modo and subdivide the mesh and export it as eg. fbx.

Quote from: mattjgerard on January 11, 2019, 08:44:16 AM
I have looked in to the possibility of paying someone for a fully rigged textured properly looking human. 99% of the time I need a human figure (and that's not that often) I need a warehouse or line assembly worker that I can pose with a part in a hand or next to an assy line. I did download one that was rigged deciently, but the Uv's and wrapping were so screwed up I ended up photoshopping out seams and spending more time fixing it than it was worth. One dude with interchangeable clothing would be worht money for me.

Hi Matt. Have you had a look at https://www.daz3d.com/ - if I remember correctly it's not all ladies in piquant clothing and aliens. Worth a look at least.